Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Curious if anyone has mounted Sidekicks on the '06 Outback. I understand that there is no specific spot advised for each model kayak but that you should try and stay close to the back of your seat, leaving enough room for your seatback. From some of the pictures our there, it seems that over the cooler well is a preferred location. I was going to go back a few more inches to the back of the cooler well, just behind the rod holders and in front of the hatch. Has anyone tried this location? Any pros and cons you have come across?

Alternatively, has anyone tried mounting them another 12 inches back, behind the rear hatch? That would certainly be out the way but I am assuming that I would lose some stability. (My goal is to have a stable platform to stand and flyfish)

Jon in Fl. posted some helpful hints and advice on another forum, and gave some good ideas about modifications. Curious if anyone else has some experience in this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:20 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've never tried one, but I would think one of the SideKick's best features is its height adjustment. For example, I could see rotating it up while pedaling to your fishing area to keep it clear of the water (drag), then putting it down for a little sight fishing Max stability); then changing it to mid way for a leisurely sail back (lee side only contacting water).

If so, you would want it within easy reach from the cockpit. 8)