Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Some of you may remember last year when a Turbofin powered Adventure brought home this Bayliner (AKA Titanic Jr.):

Well, history was destined to repeat itself (sort of).

It started out as a perfect Hobie day at the lake. An unseasonal wind was blowing a bit (locally known as a Santa Ana). It was quite gusty, getting up to about 40 MPH. The only other kayak that launched had just pulled out -- was having trouble hanging on to his paddle and didn't want to risk getting caught up in a water spout.

I had planned to take my local dealer's AI for a spin (he is temporarily storing his demo fleet at my house, and I get to use them -- heh heh). When I saw the wind dancing on the lake, I decided that I was not a good enough sailor to handle a water spout, so the AI became simply an Adventure! Trusty Turbofins afoot and camera in hand, it was an easy launch.

It was nice having the lake to myself. Heading downwind was a breeze, the wind augmenting my leisurely pace at 5.5 MPH. When it was time to turn back, that's when the Adventure really earns its keep. As I hunkered down to a workmanlike pace of 4.0 MPH against the wind, the spray was passing in such a hurry, most of it went right on by!

The chop was no match for the Big A -- it just motored right on.

Whatever it didn't flatten, it simply bored through.

Oh yes, back to the rescue. By and by I spotted a boat adrift, rapidly approaching, and headed over to see if they needed assistance. I could see the outboard was up and it looked like he had a trolling motor. Unfortunately, he couldn't make any headway against the wind. Moreover, he couldn't even keep the bow from falling off, and was helplessly circling as he drifted alee. Typically, no flares, no signaling, just confusion and panic. The conversation went something like this:
Me: Having problems?
He: Yes
Me: throw me a line; I'll give you a tow.
He: (looking around) YOU'RE going to tow me with THAT???
Me: (looking around) Yes
Me: Is your trolling motor still operating?
He: Yes
Me: OK. You push, I'll pull.

It was not a particularly large or heavy boat, but that wind was sure having the best of it. Secretly I hoped I could make headway with all that frontal area in tow. So off we went. The Turbofins really kicked in. After a time the GPS showed we were making 1.0 MPH -- only a quarter mile to the launch ramp! The passenger (smiling, below) was obviously very relieved to be going forward again:

Under the lee of the mountains the water was calmer. As you can see in this next pic, the passenger settled down to her job of keeping the bow down. The skipper was diligently operating his trolling motor -- it was a commendable team effort!

With our combined skill, we finally arrived at the ramp. As we approached, I called for assistance from another stinkpotter who was tied up. He pretty much pretended he didn't hear until I told him we might collide with his boat. Instantly motivated, he took the bow line, and the Adventure, sans Island, headed home (to another launch ramp).

For those who might doubt the dependability of Hobie's products, keep in mind, there isn't another kayak around that could have pulled that off. Most yaks wouldn't even been able to get themselves in. Those who are on the fence about the Turbofins, let me tell you they've really got some grunt when you need it. Hobie, you're in a class by yourself!

The day finished up as it started -- a perfect Hobie day. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WTG RR,
I love these Mirage Drive "you were there" type stories! Good stuff, and congrats again for another
Quote:
YOU'RE going to tow me with THAT???
type tale!
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks Dick. It feels nice to be able to help people out -- sort of adds a little something extra to the outing!

When I was a kid, we lived at the beach in a little place called Surfside. Occasionally, boats would break down or run out of gas, drift in and break up from pounding surf. It was always quite a show! There wasn't anything that could be done once the boats hit the surf line. We used to watch for boats that seemed to be getting a bit too close. So maybe I developed an eye for disabled boats -- this was my forth in the past year. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Great story. I'm sure both of those guys in the small boat were relieved.

Can I top it?

Well no photos.

And calm after the storm. No winds (for a change).

Going into the Honokohau harbor recently I saw something on the rocks that line the entrance basin..

From a distance it looked like large raft. Had to be 30-40 feet long.

It was a long piece of dock! The fuel dock actually that had broken it's moorings during some recent large surges.

A crane was attempting to lift one end off so they could get it afloat. One guy walking around had a yak paddle in his hand. I pedaled over.

The crane did it's job and go the thing afloat. It looked like the guy was going to try to paddle his dock across the harbor. It would have been no mean feat. I think he really want a PB to help.

I had my paddle in my hand for maneuverability in the harbor. It's cramped and full of small boats going and coming, so immediate reverse may be required. I'm sure most people didn't notice I wasn't using it.

So I ask "need any help?".. He said something to the effect that I couldn't paddle hard enough to help. Where upon I pointed at my feet and said "well I have these".

I'm sure he didn't know what "these" were? :lol:

So I edged back on the side of the dock, stashed the paddle on it, and grabbed it with both hands. Started pedaling. The guy was somewhat impressed with our movement, and tried to help with his paddle.

Not really knowing where I was suppose to head, I suggested he go aft and use the thing to steer.

Needless to say we got the dock back to it's mooring in less than 8 minutes, mas or menos.

Sorry no pics.

Well there's my topper effort.

Let's hear from someone else. Roadrunner can't be the only guardian angel out there. I kind of enjoy these tales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great job, both you guys.

Enjoyed the Hobie-to-the-rescue stories!