Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water in paddle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Four weeks ago I did not know that Hobie made kayaks.
Three weeks ago I bought an Oasis 2010 with sail kit.
So far I am extremely happy with the kayak!

But somehow after a one week camping trip, I ended up with water inside both halves of one paddle. The paddles are standard issue Hobie fiber kayak paddles.
When I separate the paddle into two, and then tip the two halves back and forth, I can hear water sloshing around inside both halves.

The longer half of the paddle will leak out a few drops of water from the seam between the shaft and the blade each time I shake it or spin it. I can't shake (or spin) any water out of the shorter half even though I can hear that the water is there.

Is the paddle defective or did I abuse it by dropping into the water in some 5 foot waves? I can not figure out any way to drain the water unless I drill holes... but I expect holes would make it fill quickly and sink.

-canoe

Post subject: Re: water in paddle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same problem! Is there any solution?! I certainly dont want a paddle filled with water!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I get most of the water out of the paddle with a lot of work, but that is not a satisfying solution. I have already got new water into the paddle.

Last edited by Hobie Crafte on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not seen your paddle style, but on my canoe paddles, I have a plastic blade with an aluminium shaft going in it. Once the shaft is inserted in the blade, it's riveted there.

On mine, I drilled out the rivet and removed the blade to drain it. Once drained, I applied a little bit of silicone on the shaft before inserting it into the blade. Put a new rivet or SS sheet metal screw.

For blades that have never leaked, a small bead of silicone where the shaft enters the blade and over the rivet ought to prevent a leak.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the answer, but my paddle is made of carbon fiber, with plastic blades and no rivet. I cannot find any way to release the blade from the shaft.

I guess I have to drill a hole in the carbon fiber to get the water out and then use silicone or something else to seal the hole and the slit between the blade and the shaft where the water is most probably entering. Will silicone work well even on carbon fiber? I am not sure if I can find any silicone at home. Is there any good alternative?