Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Outback leak?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:( I don't understand I have an 05' Outback that always has water in it after I take it out. I have checked and checked for leaks. I first thought it was an issue with the back line holes, but and choppy water, but it is happening is very calm water, like in almost glass water conditions??? I don't think this is typical. I've been told two different things by Hobie. I called in to request my drive plug and it was never sent to me and the lady told me my kayak was not one needing the retrofit kit, yet HOBIE sent me one and not the plug? Do I have a leak in the drive now? Kind of disapointing I can't keep my camera in a plastic sack anymore in the hull because it gets too much water in it.

I'm wanting to know:

1. Can I re-order the plug, since I have yet to receive it, but I sent in the slip to Hobie stating one should be sent out to me since one was not available when it was purchased.

2. What can I do about this leak? put the retrofit kit on that was sent out to me, or what? I've checked the drive area out very well and can not see any cracks or even hairlines in it???

I really would appreciate any help. The model is an 05' Sand colored Outback. Thanks,
Vlaude

Post subject: '05 Outback
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:33 am 
Site Admin

An '05 Outback is smack dab in the middle of the recall range, so yes, you should install the kit. The kit is to prevent a problem. Mostly related to the cam bolt length which, when too short, could allow the drive to slip out of place and damage the forward area of the well.

A crack in the forward ledge can be hard to see. It also can open when under load from the drive. You can place a bright flash lite inside the hull and shine up against the ledge. From the outside you can more easily see a crack, if there is one.

Other leak issues are best sorted out by using a leak detection technique that uses air pressure in the hull and soapy water. There is a description in the FAQ area of these forums: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1949

The drive well plug? This is only for when not using a Drive in the boat (when paddling?), so nothing related to leakage issues. You can request again via [email protected]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Mmiller, yes I realize the plug is for when I'm not using the mirage drive, a seperate issue. But I would like to have the plug. Haven't had it since I purchased the yak and have requested it twice. I guess its not that big of a deal, but just thought it would be cool to have.

The real issue to me is the retrofit kit. So should I go ahead and install that, and second if I find a leak what do I need to do? I don't think the reinforcement epoxy? is the right stuff to fix the leak, right? What should I use?

I kind of think its a leak because the newer Sport model we have rarely get much if any water in it, and the Outback comes back with quite a bit of water... Been like this for over a year now and when I called in about it the person said that was normal, but what was weird is it never happened that bad before it seems... I know if I would have taken it out my maiden voyage and come back with a couple gallons of water in it I would have had some raised eyebrows... Anyways let me know, I am going to try to check for a leak this weekend as per your post,

BIG THANKS!!!
-Vlaude

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, install the kit.

Let us know how the leak detection goes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get intouch with your local dealer. I was having the same leak problem with my 05 model outback. The fact that there is not a plug is not the reason your taking on water... It is a crack in the forward drive area..I contacted my dealer and they contacted Hobie. I now have a new 2007 model hull which is awesome. The inside of my hull is dry once again..
The fix it kit will only work for a kayak that has not got a leak. It sounds to me as if you already have the crack and need a new hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This most definitely sounds like the dreaded crack. I, too, got one in my '05 outback, granite color. Picked up about two gallons of water in four hours like clockwork (even in calm seas).

Trying to see the crack, even when you suspected where to look, was next to impossible. I used the air and soapy water trick:

Picked up a cheap air pump from Walmart.
Attached it with some duct tape to the yak drain.
Sprayed some soapy water around the front of the drivewell.
Pumped a few times and the bubbles appeared immediately.

Dealer replaced the hull and it has been dry ever since.

I would definitely check for the crack in the front of the drive well before installing the retro kit.

The blocks you mention have no use in the water that I can discern. I do use mine when transporting the yak (cuts down on wind noise).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK now that it appears I have a very small leak what do I do now? My dealer where this yak was purchased is a few hundred miles away? And how do I know they will warranty this? I guess it has been happening since 06' so maybe they will help me, but I don't know how to document it has been occurring for some time now, other than my calls to Hobie about 8 months ago, but I'm sure they don't have a record of it? or do the? I guess I have the date the repair kit was sent and the letter, that was the time the water in the hull started getting to a point I couldn't keep my camera in it... ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to get the leak fixed or another hull if that is an option. I just don't know what to use for a patch or if that isn't a good solution how to go about resolving this. Thanks again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Why don't you give your dealer a call and see what he says? Do you have a digital camera? How about a picture showing the affected area?

I'm sure your dealer will give you some guidance! 8)

Post subject: Warranty?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:40 am 
Site Admin

We don't require a documented trail of issues with your boat... If you have a defect or leak that is not repairable, we will just replace the hull. Contact your dealer (any dealer) and ask them to file a warranty claim.

This assumes that the problem is not correctable and is not just from an expected source, hatches, steering lines etc.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I contacted BassPro as they are the closest dealer to me. They seem a bit unknowing about the process but I am going to take it in for them to look at and give me a reccomendation on how to fix it or if I need to file a warranty claim as you mentioned. Thanks again, I'll let you know the outcome of that. I appreciate the customer service on the website Mmiller and the input from everyone!!! :)

Post subject: repair kit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do I get the drive well repair kit for a 2004 outback without a dealer close by?