Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been searching and searching and can not come up with some much needed info. (If I have missed it somehow, please accept my apology). I received my Hobie OB retro repair kit early last fall and replaced the "smaller" bolts on both sides with the longer ones. They went in easily enough and a few days later, I was able to get my OB into the water to go fishing. After about 2 hours on the water... and me peddling around, the right side bolt lifted up. I scooted forward and tried to tighten the bolt with my fingers. It went in some and seemed to work... for a little while.. then it happened again. Then I tried a pair of pliers (that is all I had to use at the time) but it wouldn't tighten it enough to be able to use the drive properly because about 20-30 min later... it happened again. I didn't think it is a good idea to try to pedal lopsided and put undue stress on the mechanism.. plus it's hard to do! This scared me at first.. as I thought it broke. Sooo.. being out about 2 miles from shore, I had to paddle back in. After not using "paddles' anymore, it was not an easy task.. plus it was very hot that day. I finally arrive back to shore, packed everything up and headed home. I rinsed out the yak, the drive.. everything that was used that day. I found the allen wrench that came with it and tightened it enough where the drive pin would fit underneath it. The next day, I took it out again... and several hours later, it happens again. Well.. I thought I had fixed the problem the day before.. thinking maybe I didn't have it tight enough. Well... it did it again and I did not think about bringing the allen wrench with me.. BUT I did make a mental note.. to never leave home without it again. Actually that become my most needed tool on the Outback. This has happened quite a few more times... just coming undone at will. I haven't been able to find any info on this in the last 6 months of searching. Has anyone else had this problem? It kinds of ruins the excitement of going out fishing.. never know when it's going to do it again.. that you have to stop... and get the wrench out.. tighten it.. then go on... especially when it's really cold outside. It's just more aggrivating than anything and I don't think it should be happening. The left side stays secure. Is this a warranty thing or something I'm going to have to keep getting use to? I even removed both bolts, rinsed the holes out and "q-tipped" them, then changed them out (right to left.. etc)and it still does it on the right side only. I will add... this yak doesn't seem to leak as bad as it did before changing out the bolts. I'm thinking for some reason... the shorter ones were the main problem (after I siliconed around all the hatches). So, with that all being said.. am I thinking it's just me... or has others had this problem? Thanks for your replies!! :) Pam

Post subject: Threads
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:29 am 
Site Admin

The threads may have been stripped. The bolts thread into plastic and if twisted beyond tight, the material could slip past the threads. There is a fairly easy fix. It is called a Heilicoil.

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

We can ask your dealer to do this repair for you.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Threads
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The threads may have been stripped. The bolts thread into plastic and if twisted beyond tight, the material could slip past the threads. There is a fairly easy fix. It is called a Heilicoil.

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

We can ask your dealer to do this repair for you.

Matt... Since I have been changing them out several times (since the repair kits came in) I have not forced any of them in. They just screwed right in with no problems. I thought, since the right one keeps coming loose, that maybe some debris got inside of it.. so that is why I sprayed water inside and used a q-tip to dry it before I put the bolt back in. After I tighten it some (leaving room for the drive bolt) you can tug on it lightly and it will not come out. It's strange!! It only comes out when it feels like it. I looked at those helicoils... does the local dealer carry them?... or is it something that I'm going to have to order and have them install them? (I wouldn't even try to put them in) lol My OB is a 2005 model... which is still supposidly under warranty. It seems... if it was stripped... it wouldn't hold any.. would just keep coming out immediately after you start peddling. It doesn't.. you might be out there for several hours... then it decides to start coming up. (and I don't pedal heavily). Thanks.. Pam

Post subject: Heilicoil
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 am 
Site Admin

I am told that the Heilicoil is readily available at Home Depot stores. This is also commonly used in automotive repair. The bolt is a 3/8-16.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt... I'll pick up a couple and when I go to the Hobie Demo days on Pensacola Beach (with our local yak fishing club), I'll get Kirk to insert one for me.. and hopefully it will provide a solution to this problem. :) Pam

Post subject: Retraction
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Retraction: Not sure about Home Depot (may not be stainless), but the part is available from McMaster Carr... online.

McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/

Type > Material > Internal Thread Size > Compare Items

Helical Inserts

Part Number: 91732A214

Type
Helical Inserts With Tang

Material
18-8 Stainless Steel

Thread Type
Right-Hand Threaded

Internal Thread Size
3/8"-16

Insert Length
9/16"

Rockwell Hardness
C42 - C50

Minimum Tensile Strength
200,000 psi

Maximum Outer Diameter
.472"

Specifications Met
Military Specifications (MIL)

MIL Specification
MIL-122 or MIL-124

Installation Instructions
Drill adequate depth. Tap using screw thread insert tap. Screw insert onto installation tool and install insert 1/4 to 1/2 turn below the work surface of the hole. Remove tang on insert to allow full passage of screw into insert using tang break-off tool.

Suggested Drill Bit Size
X

Repair Kit
91732A930

Repair Kit Contents
Kit includes 10 inserts (0.562" length), one insert tap, one installation tool, and instructions.

Insert Tap
91709A107

Installation Tool
90261A157

Tang Break-Off Tool
92955A115

© 2007 McMaster-Carr Supply Company. All rights reserved.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)