Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

About 8 or 9 years ago, I purchase an Ocean Kayak Scrambler, mostly to play around on at the local reservoir (Marsh Creek here in Chester County, PA) and ride the waves at the beach in Southern NJ. Since then, I have tried to fish off of it with limited success. It seems tipped to me and there doesn’t seem like a lot of room. I have started to add a few fishing accessories, a paddle holder, rod holder, and last year an anchor and trolley (though I haven’t fished with it since I added the trolley). I really find paddling to be a challenge when fishing. The paddle holder helps, but the rod holder is another thing. I didn’t want to put it in back of me, because every time I turn around, I almost tip over. If I put it close enough in front of me, I hit it with the paddle when paddling. The compromise was to put it as far forward as I can reach without having to get completely out of my seat, yet it is still in the way when paddling. In the end, I am just not too happy with the set up and have been yearning for a Hobie Mirage.

My wife has been interested in getting a Kayak and since she doesn’t have a great deal of upper body strength, I figure the Hobie Mirage would be perfect. We went and looked at them over the weekend and she was pretty well sold on it. The reason we are looking at the Outfitter is so we can go together or she can take our toddler (2.5 years) and I can paddle the Scrambler. Then, when we are not out as a family, I can use it as my fishing Kayak. I have read a few posts over at Kayak Fishing Stuff and it sounds like the Outfitter does pretty well as a solo fishing vehicle. Ideally, I hope to eventually get my own Outback, but in the mean time the Outfitter seems to be a multipurpose craft that will meet several of my needs.

My Questions are:
    Am I asking too much from the Outfitter or will it meet all my needs?
    Will the Outfitter work well for my wife alone or with our toddler?
    Will the Outfitter be too big or heavy of a boat for my wife to peddle alone?
    Anyone else take their toddlers on their Kayak?
    Will I be happy fishing solo in the Outfitter?

As far as my size, I am about 5’10â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You shouldn't have any problems using it as a fishing Kayak, and it will work well to have wife sitting in back with the toddler up front. In fact when the toddler gets old enough, then he/she can help peddle the thing.

Having said that, keep in mind that the outfitter weighs 72lbs. It's a heavy bugger and if your wife "doesn't have any upper strength" as you say, she will have a tough time lifting the thing onto a top of a car or even a truck!

My wife and I have an Outback (apprx 62 lbs), but my wife is unable to help load and unload the thing up on top of our Toyota Camry. She's about 5'5" and a bit on the heavy side, but she works out a lot (Bowflex) and in pretty good shape. Still it doesn't help when it comes to lifting a bulky item such as a Kayak.

Your wife might do better with a Revolution and have the toddler sit in front of her (almost on her lap). Of course, you will have to use the scrambler when you go out together (oh shucks!) But the beauty of it is ... when you take it out fishing by yourself! The thing will take you wherever you want to go (where the big fishies are!) Even then, the Revolution is not a light Kayak at 58lbs (though not as wide). Is the wife going to have to lift the thing up by herself?

Keep this in mind when making your decision.

My two cents worth.

Last edited by Kauaiguy on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kauaiguy wrote:
7 Rivers and 33 miles of surrounding beaches!
What more can you ask for?
75 miles of beaches and 400 square miles of rivers. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rnykster wrote:
Kauaiguy wrote:
7 Rivers and 33 miles of surrounding beaches!
What more can you ask for?
75 miles of beaches and 400 square miles of rivers. 8)

Yeah but can you beat 70-80 degree weather almost 24/7 365 days a year?

..and don't forget we're on an island 25 miles wide and 33 miles long surrounded by nothing but water! Crystal clear blue water! No matter where you are on our island, you're only 10 min away from water ... and Fishing, snorkling, diving, surfboarding ...etc! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

“Am I asking too much from the Outfitter or will it meet all my needs?â€