Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife tried out my new Hobie Outback and she loved it. She's ready to purchase a Revolution or a Sports, but only if we can figure out a way for her to load/unload and haul the thing around by herself.

My wife cannot load or unload the kayak from the top of her Camry. She tried to help unload the Outback from the top of the car and really struggled badly due to it's weight and bulkiness.

She asked about a monohull trailer (for one kayak), but it's not the cost that concerns me. Trying to lug and park a trailer around can really be a trying experience sometimes. Besides, she has a hard time just trying to back her car into a driveway, so just think what it would be like for her to try and back a trailer!

Someone said that a Thule Hullavator is the way to go, but I haven't seen one. Anyone have any experience using one? Does it really help with the weight and bulkiness problem of trying to lift something up on the roof of a car? How about a small person with not a lot of upper body strength?

Please advise if you've had experience.
Mahalo in advance.
"T2"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:52 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I use the hullavator all the time with all Hobie Kayaks, it is a dream come true. there is little or no effort to make the transition from down, easy to get to position, to the on top of the car ready to drive down the road position! I think it was the 2nd most played with thing at our last demo day, behind the adventure island!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had that same debate myself. The main problem with the Hullavator is that it may raise the height of the roof rack to the point (at least on a SUV) that your vehicle may not be able to enter a parking garage, or even your own garage!. In my case, it would have prevented me from entering or using our local airport parking lot due to the #$%^&* "security" barrier at the entrance--and that is without any yak on top.

Because the cost of the Hullavator (before Thule bought out the original Talon version) was about the same as a 2-yak trailer, I finally went with the trailer. But I also don't like having to fool with a trailer, especially in the tiny "parking" areas along dirt road access in the woods to a backcountry launch site. By far the best solution to yak-hauling is one that a lot of folks around here use (including Brad of Sunjammers!) is to have a pickup truck. This allows about 3-4 different arrangements for yak hauling that are more or less stress-free. In fact, here is one of Brad's solutions using his new Toyota Tundra.

A really good arrangement with a PU is to just lash it into the bed.

Even better is the Truck Bed Xtender that also works with a SUV.

Finally, as a last resort, you can also go with a trailer. This is the Trailex SUT-250 2-yak version that can also carry 4 yaks on their sides. Works really well and is all aluminum so it tows very easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the problem of loading when I got the AI. Before I just loaded on top. Now I use the RackandRoll trailer. Uses all my previous cartop rack parts and folds away when not used. I saw the Hullavator, 1 boat on roof at near $500. RackandRoll 3 or 4 boats, masts, ama's and paddles for approx. $1600. Plus it uses cargo containers, bike racks and any other long light loads. Hauls about 250#.
My $.02.
Bill