Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alright I'm gonna have to buy a roof rack for my truck so I can haul my kayak around, and I was wondering if you guys have any "technique" for getting your kayak up there.

I'm sure there's a common way to do this. Do you just grab the middle and lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the kayak loading bar from thule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Some kind of a loading bar sure comes in handy. Then you don't have to try and lift the whole thing all at one time, which is bulky, slick and oddly shaped ... easy to drop. Not to mention hard on the back!

With a loading bar, you place one end of the kayak on top of the bar while you slide the other end into position. Quite doable especially on a bulky object such as a kayak.

Most will tell you that it's not the weight and creates the problem.

I don't know what kind of a truck you have, but for about a hundred bucks you can buy a T bar that attaches to your trailer hitch. That, a tie down strap, a foam block (to protect the roof of your cab) with a couple of Rope Ratchet Tie-downs and you're set to go.

And ... if you're innovative, instead of purchasing a T-Bar, you could make a rectangular frame out of 2"-3" PVC pipe where the top crossbars are level with the roof of your cab. The unit sits inside your truck bed. The top of the rack (crossbars) is used to support the middle and back end of your yak.

Just make sure to tie things down (both the rack and the kayak) so that they don't slide around. Cheaper than a rack system that could cost hundreds.

Last edited by Kauaiguy on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:25 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
we've started using the Outrigger by Thule, everyone seems to be real happy with them, even I have stopped using the back of my truck to haul the revolution around, the Hullavator is nice but pricy!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the yakama racks with the yak loader bar. It works very well. The problem I have is the revolution has to be loaded with the stern placed on the loading bar as to do otherwise would cause you to have to turn the yak over and have all the weight on the rudder system as that end would be on the ground. The revo has nothing to grab on to to lift and turn the boat over to place it on the racks. As of now, I have to open the stern hatch and use it to lift as I try to turn the boat over with the other hand. I think I am going to install a couple of handles of some type, maybe like the outback has at it's midpoint, near the stern hatch to help with the lifting and turning over of the boat. It's not that it's heavy, just difficult to hold on to. Once turned over and on the loader bar, the rest is a cinch. Love the boat. It's great. Thanks Hobie. Wish I still had my 60s 9'6" Nose Rider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tartan23456 wrote:
The revo has nothing to grab on to to lift and turn the boat over to place it on the racks. As of now, I have to open the stern hatch and use it to lift as I try to turn the boat over with the other .

I don't have a Revo but even with the handles on the Outback, it's not centered properly and useless if you're trying to lift and balance the yak.

What I generally do is run a belt or a strap through one of the scupper holes inside the yak, around the bottom of the yak and through the other hole, then buckle it tight inside. With the belt (strap) wrap around the bottom of the yak (through the scupper holes) I can then grab the strap INSIDE the kayak to help lift and turn the kayak over. Makes for a handly handle!

Too bad that it doesn't have a matching set of scupper holes about 3 feet away, then you could run two straps which would allow you to lift the whole thing with both hands and probably place it on top of a car. Like I said, the problem is NOT the weight!

If it's a short strap or belt (nothing dangling), I just leave it there until I get to where I'm going and use the same to lift the kayak off the top of the car.

Trust me, it really helps avoid the balancing act and hoping that you don't drop the thing or break something!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kauaiguy,

The strap through the scuppers is a good idea, but the revo only has 2 scupper holes and those are filled with the posts from the wheeleez cart that I use. It's a snug fit so I don't think a strap & the posts would fit. Hmmmmmm......the strap thing is an idea I hadn't though of. Maybe a strap around the whole boat just for loading etc. A ratchet strap maybe. I'll try it and let you know how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Once you get the kayak into position to place it on top of the car. Lift the kayak so the posts of the wheels comes out of the scupper holes, but leave the kayak sitting on top of the wheels. That way you'll have enough clearance to reach under the kayak so that you can run the strap through and around the other side. You may have to move the wheels enough so that it's not blocking the holes but still keeping the yak up.

Think about it, once you've got your kayak into position to lift it on top of the car, you REALLY don't need the wheels anymore since your next step is to lift the kayak up on top of the car right? The only time you're gonna need the wheels again is when you bring it back down to roll it to wherever it's going.

Then you use the strap again to help bring it down, remove the strap, put in your wheels and away you go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I see what you mean. I'll try it next outing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, all good ideas!

That first one is awesome, but VERY expensive!

Just FYI I have a Ford Ranger extended cab. It's the edge model and 4x4 so it's a little taller than the regular ones. A guy in my neighborhood that kayaks has a Yakima rack on his silverado - I think I'll go talk to him sometime. I'd really like to buy his truck, but paying for it is a problem! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered this, and it will make loading my Oasis much easier whn I'm by myself. I've been getting a good Powerlifting workout each time I load and unload the Oasis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsBJdEocuJ4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I load my kayak (s) on a Rack and Roll trailer. It makes life much easier. It folds up if you have a space problem. Just unhook it, roll it into the yard and off you go. If interested I can tell you the other positive things it does.

Bruce

Post subject: Worried about my hull
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Problem I have is with the end that stays on the ground. While I lift one end the other is grinding on the pavement , really hard to keep it on the rubber pad Ive been trying to use. I already have a few small flat spots ground on the leading edge of my hull. and am worried that I'll eventually grind a hole in it. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi bbuchorn,

Somewhere it was said to go to Homedepot and buy their all rubber/foam knee pads. About $5. The cheap ones. Put it on the end of your kayak/canoe, put the strap around your boat. Presto! It should stay put. And you have an extra.
I haven't tried it but it should work.