Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Faster Hobie Kayak?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I asked this questions about a year ago but am interested to try it again. Do any of you folks think Hobie will come out with a Mirage Drive kayak faster than the Adventure? Or is the Adventure about as fast as we will see. I'm wondering if they stretched the Adventure out a few more feet in length, maybe tried squeezing it a bit narrower, could they have an even faster touring yak or would the weight increase negate most of the advantage and end up being minimally, if at all faster. Don't get me wrong, the Adventure with Mirage drive is already an awsome yak, but faster is always better as far as I'm concerned, especially for a touring kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You never know what Hobie is going to do until it "hits the street". When the Adventure first came out, it was sure a pleasant surprise to me. Likewise with the Revolution and Island. They're always improving their products though, so you just never know.

The Adventure is already pretty fast. Basic dimensions, hull shape and to a lesser extent, weight can make a difference, but I wouldn't think that alone would be enough to spur the expense of an adding an additional boat. There is certain to be a point of diminishing returns.

Like you, I prefer to go fast. As I recall, you have a Tandem. It's a very nice boat (we also have one), but when it comes to speed there's no question the Adventure will blow the socks off either of the tandems. Additionally, there are some "tweaks", modifications and accessories that will further improve the performance of the Adventure (and others). Then again (as you know), your own conditioning level has a rather significant effect on speed and range!

Looking back 10 years, Mirage Hobies are lightyears ahead of the first "Classic"; there's every reason to think in another 10 years they will have a bunch of even better boats. Until then, I'm thoroughly enjoying what they have today and will eagerly consider the next slicker and faster boat when I see it!

Sorry I don't have a better answer -- maybe someone else does.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good thoughts Roadrunner. I'm thinking the same thing about the diminishing returns issue. However, maybe a little longer, slightly narrower, composite hull with a mirage drive. Hint, Hint, :wink: And yes I do have a tandem and like it a lot and enjoy it much. I do, however, look forward to the day when I purchase Hobie's fastest single of their lineup! I don't mind 45 pounds of extra counterweight up front, but I always have that need for speed and the farther I can travel the better it is.

Post subject: fasteer mirage kayak
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On November 4, 2006, I asked Greg Ketterman if Hobie would make a high performance mirage drive kayak. He said:
" A high performance Mirage has been on the list of things to do for a long time. We have a very long list. I hope it gets to the top soon."

Post subject: Faster Hobie Kayak?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my opinion there is already a wide spectrum of single Mirage kayaks available, but what I am missing is an Adventure-like tandem, i.e. a tandem with at least the same length and storage space to make it suitable for multi-day trips (below deck space is not easily accessible in the Oasis) and with an option of turning it into a trimaran, ideally with the identical kit as the AI.

And then Hobie could try something radically different, for example a catamaran system (like e.g. http://backbayboatworks.com/rowmaran.html, only longer and probably narrower). I think that it would be faster than the Adventure.

They could also team up with a manufacturer of high-quality inflatable boats and thereby enter a new market segment.

Post subject: Re: Faster Hobie Kayak?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

johannes wrote:
In my opinion there is already a wide spectrum of single Mirage kayaks available,

well, true, but nothing that compares in performance (speed, turning, light weight) to say, my 16 ft Perception sit inside sea kayak.

That is a neat catamaran though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Havoc,

I'm just curious, how fast of a speed can you maintain in your Perception for say 2 or 3 hours? I'm pretty sure I could maintain 4.5 mph in an Adventure for quite some time, if I had one! Are some of the lightweight sit ins even faster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thebaker wrote:
Havoc,

I'm just curious, how fast of a speed can you maintain in your Perception for say 2 or 3 hours? I'm pretty sure I could maintain 4.5 mph in an Adventure for quite some time, if I had one! Are some of the lightweight sit ins even faster?

Well, no, at least not for me - I have tendonitis and that's why I love my Hobie. No question I can go further faster with my legs. But I would love to have a kayak that weighs say, 40 pounds instead of 60, has some rocker to the keel for faster turning, a multichine cross section for a balance between speed and edge control, and a seatbelt to lock me in for bracing (I use both a paddle and the mirage drive in rough water and going out through waves). I think by "speed" I really meant that feeling of lightness and control I get in a Sit Inside kayak that allows me to dance on the waves. The Adventure is more like a ship, blasting through them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ever since I bought my AI, my wife has wanted her own. As we like to sail together, I'm hoping to join two AI side by side using modified akas :twisted:

We don't care for traditional tandem yaks because someone always have to be behind, but wouldn't it be cool to have a side-by-side tandem? And you get two sails! The only problem is that we risk fighting about who controls the rudders :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Figure out a way so you can use both rudders with the same lever. Then disconnect her lever so only you can steer. But when she finds out, be sure to do the safe thing and deny it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Uh-oh--for a newbie, Shep has already figured out the important stuff! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach wrote:
Uh-oh--for a newbie, Shep has already figured out the important stuff! :mrgreen:

Well I'm married so I know how it works. Luckilly for my bank account, my wife has no urge to get in a yak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Personally, I'd like a lighter fishing kayak. Somebody should really cross a paddle board with a fishing kayak. 40 pounds tops.

/bing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bing! wrote:
Personally, I'd like a lighter fishing kayak. Somebody should really cross a paddle board with a fishing kayak. 40 pounds tops.

/bing

How bout a sail kit while they're at it? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bing! said:
Quote:
Personally, I'd like a lighter fishing kayak.

Right on--that is also my top priority for the Hobie designers/engineers!