Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:( My wife and I purchased our Hobie Mirage Oasis in 2012.We very much enjoyed our boat for years.
. Unfortunately our Boat was stolen from The Garvies Point Museum in early 2018 Hull # HCCL5425C212.Boat 14'6" length Color Papaya
Police report was filed in 2018 with Glen Cove Police department.
If your are shopping for or have purchased a used Hobie Mirage Oasis. Please check the Hull Serial #
We hope to get our boat back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nyawkpat wrote:
:( My wife and I purchased our Hobie Mirage Oasis in 2012.We very much enjoyed our boat for years.
. Unfortunately our Boat was stolen from The Garvies Point Museum in early 2018 Hull # HCCL5425C212.Boat 14'6" length Color Papaya
Police report was filed in 2018 with Glen Cove Police department.
If your are shopping for or have purchased a used Hobie Mirage Oasis. Please check the Hull Serial #
We hope to get our boat back.

Since New York is not the center of my universe, I had to look up from where your kayak was stolen. If no one else has thought of it or suggested it, I suggest perusing the local Craigslist / letgo / Facebook marketplace sites in the hopes your boat may turn up there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry to hear this! Nothing I hate more than a thief!

That said this is another example of how important it is to insure your kayaks. If your kayak is enough value to where you don't want to have to pay out of pocket to buy another one get it insured. For about a hundred bucks a year most pedal kayaks can be insured for full replacement value with a $250 deductible. For the Oasis it would likely be a little more but that's literally pennies a day for a huge peace of mind.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I always worry about my stuff outside of my house walking away while I am gone. I keep my drives inside my house and don't store them with my boats. I figure it makes the boats useless with no drives and less likely to be stolen. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put a big 15mm chain lock thru the drive hole and around the roof rack. Hard to cut without power tools.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Angled I do the same but honestly this won't stop a thief. They carry cordless grinders that can cut through that in and be gone with your kayak before you can get up and go outside to stop them.

There's a huge market for used kayaks. Since many manufactures do not provide MSO's with the sale of each new kayak AND consumers don't require them to purchase a used kayak it's hard to determine if a used kayak for sale is stolen. Until there is some type of required paper trail to be provided with the sale of a used kayak the thefts will continue at a high rate.