Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all! I'm BRAND new to kayaking, have never even been, but want to try! i have a small budget, and an '03 Mirage Outback came up for sale for $350. looks to be in good condition, but wondering how long can a kayak last outside? I live in North Bend, Oregon, so we are very wet, but don't freeze much...maybe one or two days a year. Otherwise 40-65 degree year around. Just curious your thoughts from the experts. I can afford a cheap kayak new, or this one with enough left over for a roller cart. :)
I'm a 50 year old female, btw. This is a Cadillac when I thought I was going to get a Yugo :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if you bought this, but my 1st Hobie REVO 2007 had same issues w/ stress on drive area and cracked. I would be concerned about that.

**************Only problem with the older Hobies was the hull failure at the spot in the drivewell on the forward mounting post for the drive. Chances are it's cracked/split. My first OB hull was an 04' model. It's drivewell cracked on me, I go it replaced, then the second hul was an 06' model. It too cracked. My current and 3rd hull is an 08' and hobie has fixed the drivewell issue once & for all. that whole area that was prone to cracking has been filled in solid with plastic now.*****************