Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a 12’ Hobie Passport & cannot use it because the seat will not stay attached. I tested it out before putting it in the water (it was sitting on the grass) & with very little pressure the seat pops off. So, I never put it in the water. It’s brand new. I did some research & discovered that the latest model has 2 seat attachments whereas the model I have only has one. Obviously Hobie recognized this design flaw & fixed the problem. I am going to ask the dealer to swap my model with the improved model. Not sure what I will do if the dealer won’t make the swap?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

This is not something I have heard. Anyone else? Are you sure the installation is correct?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, this seat pop up is a issue and definite design defect. It is a common problem when moving forward toward the bow deck when 60% of your body weight is placed on the the front edge of the seat. This issue has been previously addressed on this forum with the 21/22 Passports. I see that the 2023 Passport has a different way of securing the seat down, but I have no idea if it now solves the previous design flaw... but it probably does.
The Fix: I have attached and placed two small foam rollers onto the bottom front of the seats edge, thus to keep the seat level at all times of usage and stopping the seat frame from popping out from the lever when any weight is put on the seats front edge.
In reality Hobie should provide the dealers/owners with the warranty fix to correct the previous attachment defect. Straps for the front, and straps for the back to stop the seat movement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tarazona01 wrote:
Yes, this seat pop up is a issue and definite design defect. It is a common problem when moving forward toward the bow deck when 60% of your body weight is placed on the the front edge of the seat. This issue has been previously addressed on this forum with the 21/22 Passports. I see that the 2023 Passport has a different way of securing the seat down, but I have no idea if it now solves the previous design flaw... but it probably does.
The Fix: I have attached and placed two small foam rollers onto the bottom front of the seats edge, thus to keep the seat level at all times of usage and stopping the seat frame from popping out from the lever when any weight is put on the seats front edge.
In reality Hobie should provide the dealers/owners with the warranty fix to correct the previous attachment defect. Straps for the front, and straps for the back to stop the seat movement.

It is indeed a widespread problem with the early Passport 12 thermoformed version, and everyone I've met on water with one also agrees it's pretty aggravating. Hobie obviously recognized the problem because the rotomolded Passports have a completely different design to keep the seat securely in place.

We own both one of the early thermoformed Passport 12's as well as the rotomolded 12R version (my wife's Passport). The new design completely eliminates the issue.

I wish Hobie would provide an upgrade kit for the thermoformed Passport seat attachment problem. In the meantime I have been securing the seat by running an NRS strap up through the seat scuppers and around the seat hinges. It doesn't have to be very tight to keep the seat securely in place.

In every other respect both of these Hobies are fine kayaks.