Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I now have 4 of the older V2 drives (not GT) and they need maintenance. Just bought a drive that is probably over 10 years old and may have never been used. It looks like there is a white (but now hard) grease at the edge of the drums and sprockets. I assume this is the original factory grease.

After reading many posts it sounds like the best lube for the bearing surfaces is a marine grease (like Lucas Marine), as it will not wash out easily. Drive needs to be disassembled to clean and then lube the surfaces. Put in a grease zerk or hole for grease needle for relubing as needed.

Then after each use wash off drive, preferably with warm water. Then lube around the shafts with Hobie oil or equivalent. Apply Hobie oil or WD40 to the chains, but be careful not to spray WD40 on the grease at the bearing surfaces, as it will dissolve and possibly wash out the grease.

I realize I need to be careful about getting sand or grit in the drive. If that happens I may need to disassemble and regrease.

Am I making this too complicated, as some say just spray the drive down with WD40 and that's all that is needed. I'm OK doing more than this as I want the drives to last a long time, but don't want to waste my time either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are 3 shafts (drum, sprocket and idler). If you are disassembling, a light coating of marine grease works well. for anything else that moves, a light lube works well. Don't over tighten the chain/cables -- it causes friction and premature wear. You want about 1'8" of "pinch" on the idler and front cable and about 3/16" at the rear drum cable. Adjust from front to back (idler first). When properly adjusted and lubed, the Drive should move without any resistance. The V-2 Drives are pretty bullet proof. You don't need to baby them. Just rinse after salt water and lightly lube. BTW, when reassembling the sprocket chaft, snug the Allen head retaining screw only. Secure with LocTite Blue so it doesn't back out. If over tightened, you can crack the spine.8)