Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a Michigan resident. Been fly fishing for 15+ years.

I'm looking for a kayak to take down the Muskegon River for fishing.

I'm strongly considering the Mirage Passport 10.5 R but I'd welcome any other suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seems a great choice but depends on
1) if car topping
2) if doing floats versus out and back with upstream paddling involved
3) how much paddling vs pedaling which depends on # 2 above and what the flow, rocks and other obstructions are like
4) stability for fly fishing and need to stand up
5) storage needs
A short 10.5 kayak is fine for floats on medium size 1200cfs rivers, but cons are: more effort to paddle upstream, not so friendly on big rough water, and have smaller storage. Some fly fishers like a kayak they can stand in.

I cartop, have minimal gear, spin fish, and do out-n-back on big, shallow, very rocky and sometimes windy choppy rivers, so pedal slowly while fishing but a lot of paddling to get back to car quick to avoid pedal damage (despite having kickup fins). I love any Hobie for shallow water pedal with short strokes but especially a Revolution13 because:
1) can car top ok
2) paddles better than most pedal kayaks
3) can handle big water / chop better many than due to its design and length
I also like Revo secondary stability but some think its narrow profile is too tippy and cannot carry tons of gear (I carry minimal gear). Its also more money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Angled wrote:
Seems a great choice but depends on
1) if car topping
2) if doing floats versus out and back with upstream paddling involved
3) how much paddling vs pedaling which depends on # 2 above and what the flow, rocks and other obstructions are like
4) stability for fly fishing and need to stand up
5) storage needs
A short 10.5 kayak is fine for floats on medium size 1200cfs rivers, but cons are: more effort to paddle upstream, not so friendly on big rough water, and have smaller storage. Some fly fishers like a kayak they can stand in.

I cartop, have minimal gear, spin fish, and do out-n-back on big, shallow, very rocky and sometimes windy choppy rivers, so pedal slowly while fishing but a lot of paddling to get back to car quick to avoid pedal damage (despite having kickup fins). I love any Hobie for shallow water pedal with short strokes but especially a Revolution13 because:
1) can car top ok
2) paddles better than most pedal kayaks
3) can handle big water / chop better many than due to its design and length
I also like Revo secondary stability but some think its narrow profile is too tippy and cannot carry tons of gear (I carry minimal gear). Its also more money.

I would like to car top if possible. I will be doing more floating than out and back upstream paddling. I don't require a stand up kayak. To be honest I've never tried one but never felt like I needed it. Storage would be nice to have if I can find something with a decent amount of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Considering the price, Passport 10.5 for basic river float fishing and cart topping will make you happy. You just have to use a crystal ball to see whether some extra feature on an extra priced model will make you "extra" happy.

I don’t know all the differences but the seat, rudder, and capacity come to mind. You may never notice the difference in which case no need to spend extra. They are all fine on 10.5 but other models have a tad more comfortable seat and a rudder down control. For me, the seat difference only gets noticeable if using everyday for 6+hrs. Passport requires deploy the rudder manually at the launch and only annoying if YOU forget and are out in deep or muddy bottom water before you realize it and have to exit the kayak to deploy it (probably wont happen more than once before you tie a pink ribbon on the rudder as a reminder).

As for capacity that is a tradeoff. 10.5 is lower cost and easier to manage but not the best for big folks and/or those taking a cooler filled with ice, trolling motor, spare battery, 10" screen, etc. It is astonishing how much stuff fits on bigger kayaks these days.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are planning to fly fish out of your kayak I would not get a peddle drive. Line management is a nightmare. If the kayak is just for transportation to different islands to get out and fish I think you will be happy. I have the 12 foot passport and have no problem fishing slower rivers but I can’t speak to the 10 foot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

flyrcairplanes wrote:
If you are planning to fly fish out of your kayak I would not get a peddle drive. Line management is a nightmare. If the kayak is just for transportation to different islands to get out and fish I think you will be happy. I have the 12 foot passport and have no problem fishing slower rivers but I can’t speak to the 10 foot.

I fly-fish out of my Compass pedal-drive kayak all the time. Just keep things simple and clear around the cockpit and you will have no problem with line management. The Compass or Passport would be good models to look at for fly-fishing. Give it a try! Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

It's great to hear about your extensive fly fishing experience in Michigan! Choosing the right kayak for the Muskegon River is crucial, and the Mirage Passport 10.5 R is indeed a solid choice. Its stability and features make it well-suited for fishing excursions.

If you're open to exploring other options, you might also want to consider the Hobie Outback or the Old Town Topwater 120 PDL. Both are reputable kayaks with excellent stability and fishing-specific features. The Hobie Outback, in particular, is known for its pedal-drive system, providing hands-free operation, which can be a game-changer for anglers.

Additionally, the Perception Pescador Pro 12.0 is worth a look. It offers a comfortable and customizable fishing setup with ample storage space.

Before making a decision, consider factors like ease of maneuverability, storage capacity, and the overall layout of the kayak to ensure it aligns with your fly fishing preferences on the Muskegon River.

Feel free to test paddle different models if possible or seek advice from local fishing communities for insights based on their experiences on the Muskegon. Your fellow anglers might have valuable recommendations based on the specific conditions of the river.

Happy fishing, and may your new kayak bring you many successful and enjoyable adventures on the Muskegon River!