Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my getting the neoprene tension screw out the threads inside the housing got slightly damaged and a new set screw won’t stay in with enough friction to hold it in when adjusted correctly. I’m thinking adding some JB Weld and re-tapping would work, but I have no clue what thread size the set screw is. Anyone have this problem and discovered a solution?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't own a thread pitch gauge, take the screw to your local Ace hardware and they have a thread pitch/size plate to screw it into and determine exactly what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had already taken the set screw to Ace Hardware and they were unable to determine the size - neither metric or SAE. They suggested it was a thread proprietary to Hobie. I may just try to rethread the hole with JBweld and another set screw from Hobie. I’m going to put some JB weld on the threads inside, thread a set screw in and work it in and out slightly before it sets too hard. If it doesn’t work, I guess the sleeve that the screw threads into will need to be replaced - IF I can determine a part number for it. I have read that the pedal drive works fine without the screws. I’ll find out tomorrow as my friend (whose Hobie Compass this is on) and I go fishing tomorrow in the creeks off the central Florida Intracoastal Waterway!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Btubb wrote:
I have read that the pedal drive works fine without the screws!

My non180 kick appears to have no tension screws or other adjustment. I used to have older fin drive which had tension screws, maybe because it had floppier fins. They were time wasters making not a lot of difference with all kinds of experiments and chatting here.

You can just hold it as if the screw was tight vs loose and see if it makes much difference to fin flex. Probably not great deal. Especially with the new fins molded stiffer. It used to alter the pitch of your "propeller" and sort of give you a high vs low gear. But it's in a small range that your legs compensate for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's sounding like the screw is a self tapping plastic material screw.
Here is a reference to check out https://www.fastenright.com/products/ge ... ing-screws

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I figured this out…. The set screw turns out to be a 5/16 - 24 thread. I was able to fill the hole with JBweld, drill a new hole and use a tap to cut new threads. Set screw fits great with plenty of bite to tension the kick-up fin!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Btubb wrote:
Set screw fits great with plenty of bite to tension the kick-up fin!

Tension may not be a "good" thing. I don't know that drive but in earlier ones the goal often was to loosen the screw. There are a ton of old posts here on how you might gain a half knot by using a loose tension setting. I remember because it seemed reverse logic because that is like using a lower gear. But again, your new drive may be intended for tight screw.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe Hobie suggests 16 to 25 lbs to “break” loose the kick-up fin. If setting to a “loose” screw, there would be no use to have the kick-up fin… yes? no?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Btubb wrote:
I believe Hobie suggests 16 to 25 lbs to “break” loose the kick-up fin. If setting to a “loose” screw, there would be no use to have the kick-up fin… yes? no?

Oh I'm sorry, you seem to be talking about a "kick up" tension; I was talking about "fin pitch" tension screws which used to be the only tension setting. It is exactly analogous to propeller pitch, but might be omitted in new kick up designs.

For anyone that can adjust fin pitch, for the record here is one of the most gravitas posts on the subject from "Hobie approved guru" Roadrunner in thread https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10176 where high tension settings are advised against.

Quote:
Those who have Turbofins have probably noted information from the instruction sheet pertaining to tuning the fins. It states "By having more tension in the fins, they become stiffer and faster with more resistance on the pedals." I decided to find out what might be the most efficient setting for cruising speeds.

Pedaling at 60 cycles per minute over a 107 yard course, I recorded boat speed for each setting: loose (see picture below), medium (tightened 1/8") and tight (tightened an additional 1/16"). Each setting was run four times on each fin independently to minimize error.

Resulting speeds varied only about 2%; pedal effort was noticeably different though. The tighter the fin clew, the more effort was needed to maintain pedaling speed. This effect was more pronounced with the front fin than the rear fin. Technically, the fastest speed obtained was, front fin = loose; back fin = medium. This makes sense, as the rear fin gets a deflected slipstream from the front fin. The effect was weak though and may not be worth the extra pedal effort.

The bottom line is, loose clews give virtually the same performance for significantly less effort at cruise speeds. Less effort translates to less fatigue over longer distances.

What about sprint speeds? Sorry to say, I actually went faster with relaxed clews (loose fins) than tight fins. Like a propeller blade, the fins need to be able to develop a pitch (i.e. flex) to generate forward thrust. Very tight clews restrict pitch and end up wasting energy by batting water back and forth.

What is the optimal setting? I like to set the back edge of the fin about 1/8 inch in the outhaul slot, just enough so it doesn't pop out when flexed. See picture above.

As a second check, I look for at least 1/4 inch fin retraction space on the mast (if possible) so it can "wind up" the mast to allow the necessary flex as it moves from side to side. This is also a good way to set up the fins on the older style Drive (different outhaul).

Speed limitations? Even with speeds exceeding 9 MPH on boat wakes and 11 MPH on the AI (sailing), the fins are still pulling when set this way.

Are the Outhaul Adjustment Screws a waste? Not at all! There have been small changes to the mast lengths and fin styles. Additionally, there is some suggestion that the rear fin may benefit slightly by a little tighter setting. The Adjustment screws allow corrections for all of the above, as well as accommodating personal tastes of different individuals and further experimentation. 8)

Note: This article applies to ST Turbofins only, not necessarily ST fins. STs should be calibrated separately.