Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch Bag for 6" hatches
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

We recently sold our ancient Tandem (now called Oasis) and bought a new Oasis with the more modern deck plan, sail capability, T&S rudder and "newer" hull design. One of the things the old tandem had that I used a lot was a red bag for the forward hatch. It was great for wallet, keys, camera, cell phone, GPS, etc. and it kept everything dry.

Sadly, the Oasis no longer comes with that hatch bag, but as it turns out, Hobie has a retrofit kit for the new Twist & Seal 6" hatch that includes an adapter plate and bag! It is a little smaller than the old bag, but larger than the new seat-back pouches. The installation was quick and easy:

1. Unscrew the old hatch (6 screws) and remove
2. slide out the old backing plate (it's split for easy removal)
3. slide in the new backing plate
4. re-attach hatch face and re-install hatch screws.

Here's what it looks like installed:

For fast access and dry storage for small to medium sized items, this can't be beat! It should fit any of the new Hobie brand 6" hatches. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey RR,
Nice job, and clean to boot--no hole drilling and no messy adhesives! I use the small hatch bag myself for carrying my wallet and car keys in a Ziplock bag. I also carry a painter there in case I need to tow someone (or, heaven forbid) need to be towed!

Post subject: Ancient ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ya Doing Roadie?
Congrats on your new"MODERN" Oasis Tandem, I hope its everything you wanted. :wink:
I was wondering if my "Tandem Jet Boat" is ancient too at almost one year old and what did you mean by modern deck plan and sailing capacity?
I tried to check the new Catalog Hobie sent in me the mail but it looked like it had been eaten by a gang of starving Howler Monkeys and S#@T over a cliff :cry:
The website show the same pictures as they did last year or so it seems.
I did notice the twist and stow rudder , new squishy puffy seats and the little coin purse they put on the back of them in case you run through a toll bridge. :lol:
Other than the gnu hatches,seat,rudder and the lack of a front sack could you elaborate any further :? ?
...............Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Kep,

I didn't mean to cause you any consternation. Our old Tandem came from the days of yore, about the time boats were invented. It had a smaller weight capacity hull (remember, early man was shorter of stature and weight), no sailing capabilities (wind power was yet to be discovered), rudder cables were stiff monofilament fishing line.

Seats were riveted in (as was everything else then) before the time of screws; there were no 8" hatches; the center bottle holder rubbed your inner thighs while you attempted to pedal (giving some a rush and others a rash); mesh was only found on fishing nets, not boat pockets.

The rudder control was outside the hull just about at the water line where every shark in town could see your "finger bait" as water slowly seeped in, lowering the hull even further in the water. The rear foot well was always awash with a few gallons of water, doubling as Hobie's first bait tank.

Yes, many things have changed since the first Tandem model. We got cars, electricity, TVs and cell phones. Those were the days when men were men. My only comment is, they sure don't build em like they used to!

The only reason we gave up our heirloom for the new "Oasis" was to get a matching set of those goochy seat back coin purses to pack on our fannies whenever we're doing lunch (and to hold the car key)! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sweet... :lol:
Goochie coin purses rule...they must give you a window seat in the restaurant every time :lol:
How bout some pictures of you and the Boss in your new luxury liner cruising the coastal waters :wink:
..............kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

would love to have a hatch bag for the 8" hatches that come on the revo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about one of the new Hobie dry bags that fits perfectly in the new 8 inch hatches. Part #71703. Here's one on a Revo. Hobie also now offers a see-thru vinyl dry bag that fits the 8 inch hatch too. Part # 7221OT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, Got 2 of em. 2 of the plastic hatch containers too. Would still like the hatch bag for the rear hatch on the revos. Would keep lot's of things from getting lost or having to be tied in. Not a MUST have, but a nice to have. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep--no 8 inch bags in the new catalog--only the 6 inchers. Don't know why, but I imagine they wil be manufactured and made available shortly once Hobie catches up on the production of all the new stuff that has already been ordered by dealers.

Post subject: 8"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

We have no current plans to make an 8" hatch bag. The gear bucket and the dry bags are what is offered for now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: 8" Hatch Bag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's what I did. Had some extra vinyl pillows for water toys - approx. 16"L x 12"W x 6"D when inflated. Unscrewed the hatch mount screws just enough to remove the retaining ring inside the hull which is split as someone noted. Traced the inside circle on the center of the pillow. Cut out the circle. Placed the pillow through hatch into hull, then ring into pillow. Aligned edges & refestened each screw in turn. VOILA! Hatch Bag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Jeff,
WTG--if Hobie won't provide, then DIY saves the day! BTW--a hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum!