Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My '07 Oasis with maybe 400 miles on it has developed a creaking noise (like a creaking wooden rocking chair or loose wooden floor board in a house) coming from the cam lock area. I can reduce it to some extent by loosening a cam lock one click, but obviously running with a cam lock loose is not good for the cam bolt columns, so I can't run like that.

The noise seems to only occur after I have already pedaled for maybe 1/2 mile or so...as if heat buildup or ??? is causing it.

My concern is that perhaps a crack has developed in the cam bolt column area, and that continued operation will only make the crack get bigger/longer. Or has someone else out there had the same creak and determined what was causing it?

My Mirage Drives are fine, and the creaking occurs with either my regularly used Drive, or the other Drive which I have rarely used.

I can also cause the creaking to occur by simply gently pushing forward on both pedals at the same time and then releasing them.

I don't have TurboFins, I don't pedal particularly strongly nor travel fast very much, I keep my Drives lubricated and adjusted, I adjust the cam locks finger tight (just enough to remove any play), I don't apply (excessive) pressure to both pedals at the same time (except to test the creaking...see above), and I am very careful to not strike objects underwater so there has been no unusual stress upon the cam bolt columns from any of these sources.

The only unusual useage on my part would be that I use the kayak as a solo kayak almost exclusively, which might put some extra stress on the rear drive well area vs. if I always had a second pedaler up front.

Has anyone else experienced this creaking noise?

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jerry
I have a 07 Revolution and Tubro Fins
I have noticed the same noise in the same way.
I removed the drive and the large center pin was off about 1/8"
beat it back over and that seamed to help
but I am not sure.
Bert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Jerry and welcome to the forum.

Using a mirror and flashlight, inspect your cam columns via your 8" hatches. Any crack would likely show up in the inboard side just above the bottom of your cam column(s). If you see a crack, notify your dealer. The Oases seem to be pretty problem free, but nothing is perfect.

Your hull has a 2 year warranty, so don't be afraid to use it. Do keep those cams nice and (hand) tight. IMO, if there is no visible problem, there is not much to do yet except keep an eye on things and see what develops. 8)

Post subject: Creaking noise
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of my 2 Mirage drives also has a creaking sound, both pedals, at about 2/3 into the throw. The nearest I can figure is it happens where the cable coming around the cam first makes contact with the other cable's metal sleeve (doggone it I know there's a word for that part, I don't remember it). I think when they hit it makes a rub that is inaudible until the drive is installed, and then is heard as it resonates in the hull.

Post subject: I've got the creaking
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got that creaking too on a 2005 Outback, happens with left foot going forward or both pedals at the same time. I had an extra drive well repair kit and changed the cams and bolts to new ones and still have the creak, tried a different drive, still have the creak...
Time to check the cam columns. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:01 am 
Site Admin

How about a little lube on the drum axel where it interacts with the knobs and hull?. We see a lot of wear / darkening in the area. Perhaps can also create squeeks?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: creaking
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I checked the posts, no cracks. I do show darkening in that area so I cleaned that up with fine sand paper and adjusted the cams so the drive is tight at about 180 turn. No more creak...