Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stainless
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So what's up with the stainless sprockets? I was told by my Hobie dealer that they were back ordered. Any ETA?

Post subject: Stainless sprockets
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Older style stainless sprockets are now available.

Converting back to stainless requires a few parts. All are listed in the catalog parts diagram for the drive... in a box titled "Parts for older drives".

(2) # 81130001 Stainless Sprocket
(2) # 81340001 Sprocket Bushing
(4) # 81420001 Sprocket Guard
(2) # 8060111 Cotter key
(2) # 81040 Outhaul block
(2) # 8020061 Clevis pin
(2) # 10860001 Lock ring

These also require a hole in the mast for attachment to the sprocket with a cotter key. The ST Turbo kit masts have this hole. The standard fin mast included with new boats does not. A replacement mast is # 81160001 and is "universal" so works with either sprocket.

Advantages - Stronger than the plastic sprockets.

Possible Disadvantages - Requires proper chain tension to inhibit skipping. Masts have a looser fit and may require periodic replacement of cotter keys from wear. Heavier. Sprocket guards may shake loose / fall off and may require glue / sealant to attach in some cases.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Plastic Sprockets are also :
Less Filling..
Taste Great..
Fewer Calories... :P
.........Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response

Post subject: Re: Stainless sprockets
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="mmiller"]Older style stainless sprockets are now available.

Converting back to stainless requires a few parts. All are listed in the catalog parts diagram for the drive... in a box titled "Parts for older drives".

(2) # 8060111 Cotter key
(2) # 8020061 Clevis pin
(2) # 10860001 Lock ring

So, is Hobie planning on putting a "replacement kit" together with all the necessary parts or will we have to just order what we need? It would be nice to be able tell our dealer "hey, order me kit umpty ump for X $$$."

Post subject: Re: Stainless sprockets
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tartan23456 wrote:
mmiller wrote:
Older style stainless sprockets are now available.

(2) # 8060111 Cotter key
(2) # 8020061 Clevis pin
(2) # 10860001 Lock ring

So, is Hobie planning on putting a "replacement kit" together with all the necessary parts or will we have to just order what we need? It would be nice to be able tell our dealer "hey, order me kit umpty ump for X $$$."

Word

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt Miller said:
Quote:
Possible Disadvantages - Requires proper chain tension to inhibit skipping. Masts have a looser fit and may require periodic replacement of cotter keys from wear. Heavier. Sprocket guards may shake loose / fall off and may require glue / sealant to attach in some cases.

Hmmm, that is all very interesting, but I have the older (2004) SS rig and have never had any of the above problems in the nearly 4 years I have been using my Mirage Drive on two different boats. I mean, let's face it, it's pretty doggone hard to break a non-rustable SS cotter key, I have never had to adjust my chain, I have never had a sprocket guard "shake loose" or "fall off", nor have I ever had to use "glue / sealant" of any kind to attach anything in any case or for any reason. Could be that I'm just lucky, or that I don't use my boats enough! Anyway, many thanks to Matt Miller for being here (and elsewhere, like KFS) for us to answer our question and to solve our problems. Is there another manufacturer with a customer rep like Matt--mebbe so, but I sure don't know of any!

Anyway, all of the above are reasons that I have been suggesting for some time that Hobie go back to the pre-plastic era, and I am very glad they finally did. I fully expect the "retro" SS parts to correct many, if not most all the problems with the newer "plasticized" drives. Here you can see a comparison of the 2004 Mirage Drive with the SS parts that came with my 2004 OB and the newer plastiicized version that came with my (wife's) 2005 Sport. I have rarely used her newer drive, even though I fish nearly all the time now out of "her" Sport.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... teel+parts