Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting into the sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So up until two weeks ago I thought that I would never like being on a vessel on the water if it didn't have a sail. This changed when I tried kayaking again for the first time in about 5 years (pretty long time since I'm only 20), and loved it.

Now I'm looking to buy one, but I am just overwhelmed with all the variations and large selection out there. I know all the pros and cons of the cats, but nothing about the kayaks.

The main thing you can rule out of my interests is kayaking is fishing. Aside from that, I would love to be able to do alot of kayak surfing, general ocean and lake kayaking, etc. I like the Mirage drive of course, and I like to sail so that would be nice, but cost is a major issue as I'm still at UCLA for another year. The last thing is that I was noticing on other forums that height can be a large factor in purchasing, and I'm 6'3", so I wanted to make sure not to buy something too small. Then again I want something durable and agile enough to surf with.

What do y'all recommend? And by the way if this recommendation involves something used for sale in California, I'm very interested...