Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

While waiting for my Tandem partner to show up, I started to wonder...

...what would happen if one managed to snag a fish hook in one of the side chambers while a Great White shark attacked from the opposite side. Here's what I imagine it would look like:

The legs could become potential shark bait, just resting on the deflated sides.

But no worries, as the center chamber is plenty stiff and buoyant to effect a speedy get away with the Mirage Drive.

In fact, if it's a long way back, you can just lay back and rest while pedaling home.

Or, once you patch all the holes, you can simply pump up the boat at sea and resume fishing.

But then, as luck would have it, the center chamber is pierced by the bill of a Swordfish just as you are about to land it. You get a slightly sunken feeling like you're in a low rider, but the Mirage Drive still seems to work fine!

Not only has the fish gotten away, but you discover that you're out of patches, AND you missed a slow leak from one of the shark bites. Both center and starboard chambers are collapsed. You'll have to scramble unless you want to go for a swim!

All is not lost. There is still plenty of buoyancy in the one remaining chamber. You can sit on it while cranking the pedals by hand.

Now that Murphy has presented you with a hook leak, shark attack, Swordfish leak, and no more patches, you're not going to get off that easily. The Drive breaks next. But you're not fazed because this is simply a daydream, so you break out the old paddle and you're ashore in no time!

The moral of the story is always carry your patch kit and pump and your Hobie inflatable will bring you back. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:27 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Awesome review as always. I point more potential buyers to your post online, its a sure closer every time!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey RR,
Another great story--it's amazing what one can do these days with Photoshop and some creative video animation. Had it not been for that, I would have thought your tale might have been true! :mrgreen: Just kidding, but hey, it shows you that in a number of ways, a Hobie inflatable might be more "seaworthy" than a traditional poly yak that has sprung a serious leak ( I seem to recall hearing about this problem somewhere recently :shock: ).

Either way, it probably is still is a good idea to pack the hold of almost any SOT (or SIK) with as many pool noodles or other secured flotation as one feels comfortable with, and that does not interfere with the steering or rudder up/down control lines. For example, here is a pic thru the aft hatch of my OB that is packed with a few pool noodles (I was able to get 8 inside the hull, 4 forward and 4 aft). Several years ago, each noodle was listed as being able to hold a 200 lb person up in the water column (but probably for legal reasons I haven't seen this "rating" lately). However, based on personal experience, I do know that each one can easily float a 200 lb man. In addition, should you ever encounter a stink potter that is going under, you can pull a noodle or two to aid the occupants, or to help a swimmer caught in a rip current offshore. But regardless, it does not take too many noodles to add some serious flotation to a yak simply and easily. Also shown in the hold is my "Roadrunner Special"--a 50 foot tow line! Haven't had to use it yet, but one never knows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

.... GREAT READ ,, had me ........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... thats one tough yak .. :shock:

Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Deflating the first chamber, I didn't really know what to expect. Everything was lashed down, just in case. The boat floated so well, it was like nothing happened.

That encouraged me to deflate the opposite side. the water was warm and a bath was due anyway. I expected the stern section to droop down and sink -- it didn't happen! There was, however, noticeably less lateral stability.

Next I attacked the center section, suspecting that it would become too flaccid for the Mirage Drive to function -- that didn't happen either.

By now, I was secretly disappointed that nothing had become seriously dysfunctional. So I let the air out of two adjacent chambers. Things changed in a hurry, but I still had time to slide onto the one good side. There, I expected the remaining chamber to buckle under my weight. -- not even close.

The boat never lost its pedal or paddle propulsion and didn't have to take that bath either! Amazing boat! :o

Brad, I'm glad the posts are working out well for you. Please keep dropping those commission checks in the mail. so far, I've almost saved up enough for a free catalog! :mrgreen:

Dick, If you hadn't made me buy that Pentax Optio W-10 waterproof camera last year, there wouldn't be all these pictures. It goes with me every time I'm afloat and stows in my shirt pocket (with a strap around the neck) for quick access.

Great reminder on the pool noodles. I have a painter rigged on each boat as well as a loose tow line for those unannounced emergencies. I like the way you've got yours set-up for rapid deployment! 8)