Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The back support of the newer seats in the Mirage models is really good, but I'm finding that after 6 or 7 hours in the 'yak my butt is getting pretty sore from the thin layer of foam in the seat.

Does anyone have recommendations on some sort of add-on seat cushion? I'd rather not replace the entire seat assembly for $100 or more if I can help it....

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been using an inflatable seat cushion as extra padding for my tiney hiney for years; I think it's a thermarest but there's others out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A piece of fabric cut from an old wet suit and doubled over seems to provide substantial improvement in comfort. It is also not thick enough to raise my center of gravity much or put my head into the sail of my AI which an air cushion might do. A little velcro keeps it in place and it's easy to wash out the salt water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is what works for me... Your butt will thank you for it - especially on those 6-7 hour marathons.

The non-slip rubber backing actually works - it doesn't move- even after a day's excursion... The cushion is ultra comfortable - the difference is day and night... no pressure points.

I was worried about the cells getting filled with water (even if this is rare in the Outfitter) - and making embarrassing noises (as in whoopee cushion)- and giving new meaning to the expression putt-putting around - but thankfully, no such concern.

The cushion has a zipper. The gel part can be easily removed to air and dry out and the cover is machine washable.

I forgot to mention that the cushion adds only slightly more than an inch in height and even less when seated. It plays a negligible role with the center of gravity issue. However for those kayaks prone to water in the cockpit, I would suspect it would probably keep you drier.

Also turns those punishing stadium seats into an LA-Z-Boy - well, maybe a slight exaggeration. Canadian Tire 10$ on sale, 39$ regular. Highly recommended.

Last edited by jeep44 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If only we had CT here in California. I always love visiting Canadian Tire when I am in Canada - there is always such an array of deals besides tires! ;-)

An interesting idea, though - I might check the local "Pep boys" or "Kragen" to see what they might have that is intended for cars....