Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The SoCal Fires
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey RR and all the other folks in the SoCal Area:
Our thoughts and concerns are with everyone living in the chaparral and grass-covered hills and canyons of Southern California at this particular time.

My wife and I just returned today from Southern California, after having driven through many of the areas that are now afire on Saturday, the day before the Santa Ana winds picked up. I grew up with Santa Anas (winds that blow from inland high pressure desert areas towards the coast) in Orange County, but do not ever recall the kinds of damage and destruction that have accompanied this season's winds.

We were visiting my brother and his family in the Newport Beach region, and had just returned from a trip on his boat down to Laguna. It was an unusually clear, sunny day and there were no sign of fires, or even smoke on Sunday afternoon, 10/21, anywhere along the Orange County Coast. However, just after we returned and were getting his boat secured, this huge smoke cloud suddenly appeared almost directly overhead and began dropping ashes on everything in its path, including us. This cloud appeared from well inland and began covering the whole coastal area in just a matter of minutes--not days or even hours. It more resembled a huge Southern tornado cloud in its speed of movement and nearly complete sky coverage. Anyway, it's a nasty business all around, and we sure hope that the winds will begin tapering off over the next few days so the firefighters can begin to get a handle on halting the progress of these monsters.
Good luck and best wishes to all,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:54 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Our thoughts a prayers go out to everyone out that way. I know Hobie Cat was forced to be closed today due to the fires. I do not think the Hobie factory was in danger but many of the people who work there houses were effected. if I get any updates I will be sure to let everyone know.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck to all involved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Endorse the previous comments. Just seen the latest news and it doesn't look good at all. Hope to hear all is OK with those involved when conditions improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:17 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

We just returned from an unscheduled stay in town since Monday -- got power and phone restored this afternoon. Motel rooms filled up fast -- we shared ours with a friend, a neighbor and our big outside mutt. The hardest part was being cooped up with 3 women and a dog. The dog and I finally left!

It got a little breezy in town while we were out on the Lake last Sunday. Here, a local dealer should have known not to position his cars downwind during a "Santa Ana":

Our local Lake Hodges has become much easier to view from several shore positions:

While some nearby residents lost more than their lush view:

We were very fortunate with some major help from our new best friends, shown here after setting a back fire just off the edge of our property:

BTW, when word got out about how good the cuisine is here in Escondido, the President and Governor dropped by for a complimentary lunch (this pic taken from photo by K.C. Alfred): 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey RR
Glad to finally see you are both safe and everything is ok.
We are all very happy to read that the Govenator's lunch cuisine did NOT include Barbecued Road Runner. :lol:
Its a good thing the climate is quite mild where you live since you will now probably be sharing quarters with the dog in your backyard from here on out for that "motel room" wisecrack . :P

I am shipping you some snacks for the Holidays
hope you like chicken flavor.... :wink:

....Have fun out there
....... Regards
................Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea RR,
What prompted the current thread was when we were at my brother's place in Newport Beach, and heard the CNN announcer mention that the fires had reached Lake Hodges (a.k.a., RRPP--you know, "Roadrunner's Personal Playground"). Sorry to hear about all the devastation in your area. Not clear which is the worst: hurricanes in my part of the world or Santa Ana fires in yours, but glad you managed to get thru it all with some professional help from your "new best friends"!
Best wishes,
Dick