Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I picked up an '06 Adventure Fish about 3 weeks ago, to use as a fishing platform in the Long Island Sound.

I did my homework before I bought it and inspected it carefully for any a damage to the hull and the mirage drive. Aside from a moderate amount of hull rash, all appears in good order.

But here's the thing: When I go out on snotty seas (which seems to be all the time), it takes on a lot of water (anywhere from 1 to 10 liters! in an hour).

I really don't think that the hull is compromised in any way and I'm fairly certain that the water is coming in through the deck rigging, with the bulk of it coming in through the front hatch. Here's why:

The amount of water taken on depends entirely on the number of waves I take over the bow, sides and stern. It is NOT dependent on the duration of time on the water or how much/hard I pedal. On those very rare calm days, I can stay out for 6 hours at a time with out much more than 0.5 liters in the hull. On really snotty days, I can take on 5 liters in 30 minutes.

I filled the hull with water from a hose (up to the bottom of the center hatch), right side up. No drips from anywhere after 30 minutes.

After draining some water, I rolled it over. There were a few small drips from the 8" hatches (but not much) and the rudder cable grommets obviously leaked some, but the front hatch was gushing water. I realize that the pressure from the water pushing on the back of the hatch would exacerbate any potential leaking, but I just didn't see any other significant source of draining water.

Now, before you ask let me assure you that the boat is in its factory stock form. I have drilled no holes, it has stock fins/rudder, and the hatches and drain plug were properly installed. I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 200 lbs, fully loaded with all my gear (and fish) the boat is probably loaded with ~ 250 lbs. Even in moderate conditions, it is a wet ride.

So, any thoughts? Comments from the experts? How much water in the hull is "normal"?

Thanks,

Dude

P.S. I've been fishing the sound from a kayak for 7 years, the last four in a touring sea kayak model, so the switch to a SOT requires some adjustment. But, I absolutely love the mirage drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dude

Check the seat plug holes in the hull for cracks/splits, particularly the 2 rear ones- those are the one you are probable using.

Your fill with water test would miss those spots.

Also check the front hatch rubber seals to be sure the top and bottom pieces are glued on all the way around. Many of us have had to add a drop of glue or 2 to re-attach the gasket.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Dude and welcome to the forum.

On my '06 Adventure, a leaky front hatch was the culprit. This was caused by a little warping of the hull where the hatch mounts -- not normally visible.

The best way to check for this is to see if you have any gap anywhere under the hatch lip. In the following view, the hatch has been unscrewed and pressed down on one end, exposing a gap on the opposite side.

You can fix this by remounting the hatch with a generous silicon caulk bead around the lip -- just wipe off the excess when done.

You can also eliminate the tendency for water to lap up against the forward edge of the hatch by installing a Drive Well Seal (new accessory) on your drive. This will keep it drier. Here's a link: 8) http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 329afa06d4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

YA: I did inspect the seat holes previously, but I will reinspect them.

RR: Perhaps, I wasn't clear. I meant the large front hatch, not the 8" center hatch. BTW, I installed the drive plug within a couple days of getting the boat.

I will post back with results.

Last edited by Dude on Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BTW, how much water would you consider "normal", under various conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:30 pm 
Hobie Team Member

A pint. Two at the most. I'm talking ocean conditions large swells, overlaid with heavy chop and white caps.

FYI I had to glue my front hatch gaskets down several times.

RR is right though about the center hatch also being a potenial culprit.

In the above conditions you will get surge throught the drive well that can enter any center hatch warppage openings. You might not even notice it happening.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AlohaDan,

I have a 2007 Revolution. My front hatch gasket needs gluing down - every time I open the hatch, the front edge pushes up the gasket. What kind of glue (or goop!) do you recomment for securing it?

Thanks,

Bob2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:01 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I used super glue-copiously.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have carefeully, re-inspected the seat holes and found no evidence of cracks.

Unfortunately, I messed up my wrist last week so I haven't been able to take it out on the water for additional testing.

However, I did find that the gasket in the front hatch is loose at several points.

Will update again later.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I finally got a chance to take the boat out today.

I did 11 miles over 7 hours (no speed records here).

Seas were relatively calm.

I only took a couple of waves in the cockpit and a couple dozen over the bow.

Ended up with about a liter of water in the boat.

Its definitely NOT coming in through the mirage drive well or the seat area (the seat peg holes are under water the whole time). But, I still don't know where it is coming from.

When I got home I did some "hose testing" There was not a drop coming in when I hosed the center hatch. I was able to get some leaking with the hose on the front hatch, but I felt like I really had to force it.

The front hatch gaskets are poorly attached, but I just don't know if its THE cause.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:08 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Yep that's about what my hatch seals looked like befor I glued 'em.

Any following sea during your run?

A liter isn't too bad for 11 hours in an '06 hull, but a 07 should have been bit dryer unless more is getting through that fwd hatch than you think.