Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is the first winter with my 2007 Outback. On the last couple outings, it has required significant force to lock in the drive with the cam knobs. Throughout the summer/fall, it was a snug fit, but has never required undue effort to lock it. Nothing else has changed - no wrecks with the drive, no hard handling or abuse of either the kayak or drive, and the drive works fine once it's locked in.

I've inspected both the well and the drive closely and cannot see anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I know that has changed is water and air temps. Is there any reason to believe that cold wx should make the fit "tighten up"? (hull contraction???) Any thoughts or suggestions? Is it a good idea/bad idea to back off on the cam bolts a little? My wife and I often swap off on the Outback (hers is paddle), and at the present time she's unable to knock the drive in place. Thanks for your thoughts.
Jerry

Post subject: Drive fit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Is it the fitting of the drive into the well? That can be a wandering shaft or chain tension. Check that the sprocket shaft has not moved fore or aft and that the drum shaft has not moved side to side. If the chains have been tensioned... the spine might be distorted and cause a dimensional difference fore and aft.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt - Thanks for your response. I'm struggling to identify what has changed. The drive seems to drop properly into the well with no problems. It just feels as if the cam knobs don't clear the drive shafts as well as previously. The drum shafts are equi-length on each side and the sprocket shaft is very slightly indented fore and aft, so neither of those seem to be an issue. The chains have never been tensioned, with both of them still snug. Both masts are still good and straight.

It may be a situation best ignored. I can still lock the cams, although requiring more effort, and the drive works fine. My wife is struggling getting them locked. I guess backing off a little on the cam bolts is a bad idea?

Thanks again,
Jerry

Post subject: Knobs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Check that the cam knobs rotate freely before setting the drive in the well. I would "possibly" lubricate the stepped indents on the underside of the knobs... top side of the drum shaft. Perhaps it is just friction?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jerry, You can back off the cam bolts if necessary, but once they get loosened up a little they might start moving on their own. If that happens, you can use a small amount of epoxy (on the threads) to stabilize them Epoxy does not bind well to polyethylene so it will not prevent future adjustments. I've done this with one of my well-used drivewells and it works quite well.

So if you can live with that possibility, realizing that they will probably loosen up a bit in summer due to the warmer weather, then adjusting your cam bolts may be your best bet. It shouldn't take much, maybe an eighth or quarter turn. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately, %&*^$% work keeps gettin' in the way. First chance I get, I'll give a try to a little lube and if that doesn't cure it, I'll back off a tad. Thanks again.