Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Get a Grip!
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Make sure you can reach this region before you drill!

If you're having trouble with the reach, here are a couple of suggestions that might help.

On the Adventure I used a sling (couple of ropes would do, hanging the boat from the rafters on its side at shoulder height. Advantages -- you can get your whole shoulder in the hatch, you're comfortable, the screws lie horizontally so your washers will stay put while starting the nut and both hands are available (one on either side).

I did my friend Josh's Revo yesterday -- there was no sling space available. In this case it is just as easy to set the boat up on its side on a couple of saw horses against a wall, fence, tall hedge or any supportive surface. With a foot stool or chair you can comfortably sit in front of the hatch, leaning the boat right into your shoulder if necessary.

I'm not that tall so it still required a little finger tip action to get the nuts started. With a deep well socket and a Phillips screwdriver, the rest is a piece of cake. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, I did this installation with the kayak on its bottom on top of some supports. It looked like I was humping the kayak when I went to put in the front handle, hehe.

Great mod though, makes it so much easier to press the boat up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:14 am 
Hobie Team Member

I just did mine yesterday....had it on supports. Should have had it strapped on a gurney with its wheels locked :lol: . I had read that you need to be sure you can reach the area before you ever drill and I could. I never heard "be sure you can do something with your fingers once they get there" :roll: . Made for a fun time but finally got it. Thanks for all the great tips on this site. A verticle or even upside down attitude would have been a benefit but I just don't think in an up side down fashion :) :) .

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Terri,
Ditto--welcome to the Hobie Forum. Luna hasn't discovered us over here so we don't have to deal with any of his b.s.. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Roadie
I was wondering if you have any photos you could post of the placement of extra handles on your tandem.
I was also curious if you ever lift the Tandem over your head to put it on a SUV roof rack by yourself using the handle add-ons, or do you still think its a two person job even with the extra handle grippers.
Mrs Kep has had some nagging back trouble for the last couple years and it has become more difficult for her to help me load our tandem onto the roof rack, I was trying to figure out if I might be able to load it myself by adding some strategic and well placed Roadie handles :wink: . Whatcha think..?

Cheers
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did this mod, the two handle version, and it makes it SOOO much easier to deadlift the revo up on top of the suv.

If you are still having troubles though, or dont want the handles, you can always just put the top end up first (from the back) then lift and push the back end. Wont work of course if you have gunnel protrusions.

But the handles mod was fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Kep,

The handles I have on the Oasis are mostly for hanging on while seated, rather than boat handling. Here's a link with pics: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7577 . I would like to also have some midship handles for boat handling, but don't want to end up with a ton of handles on the boat!

I have to load the Tandem alone as well from time to time. I may install one on the ridge behind the front seat so I can pick up the boat using the aft drivewell and the handle.

Right now I pick up the boat on edge, gripping the rear drivewell and inside rear edge of the front seat area, lifting the stern on to the back of the rack while the bow sits on a carpet square on the deck. Then I work my way back to the bow and lift it up. It doesn't seem to matter that the boat sits backwards on top -- even with the flip up rudder models.

You might be able to use a rubber bath mat to rest the boat on at the back edge of your SUV (?) -- with a lumber rack I don't have that problem. Some folks use those extender bars that slide out the side and I've also seen a suction cup roller that temporarily sits on the back window, facilitating a push from the rear of the vehicle.

Sorry I don't have any pics! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Kep,
I load our tandem by myself onto our 4WD much the same as Archae describes. One of RR's handles would be useful fitted just behind the rear seat but I think you have your sidekick bar there? You should be able to grab it. I have a short cord tied across both the rear bungee padeyes that I grab. I put some carpet on the roof and slide the tandem up from the rear then turn it upside down when on the rack. I wouldn't like to lift the tandem above my head by myself.
I'm guessing you've seen Gorkles great idea found here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9392
I found loading a kayak onto the racks a real pain though. Now I'm using a small trailer that I lengthened the drawbar on. It makes loading much easier. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

On the latest Revolutions the aft lift handle is hidden under the rudder. With the sailing rudder it's REALLY hidden. Not only is it harder to reach, but harder to sheet for sailing and (IMO) it makes an inferior sheeting angle. There is a special bungee to make it more accessible, but....

On Josh's Revolution when we added the grip we also moved the aft lift handle forward to clear the rudder. I delayed reporting this until the boat had some use with the new arrangement to make sure it worked out as anticipated. If you're lifting the boat with the grip, this also bings the aft lift handle within easy reach for transferring your grasp when loading. Since there are no new holes in the boat, it's easy to reverse if you don't like it. Here's what we did:

1. Remove screw-in cleat at rear of the cargo bay, replacing it with screw-in padeye. Reroute the bungee accordingly.

2, Take up the slack cargo bungee length with the new style bungee hooks (factory installed on this boat) without cutting (you can restore later if you don't like it). See lower left corner in this view:

3. Loop lift handle around bungee for shipshape appearance:

4. Lift the boat a couple of times to make sure everything is well secured. Note -- this fitting is not as strong as the original padeye so be sure you test it before using!

This isn't ideal for everybody but certainly opens up some possibilities. For instance, you can now help secure high cargo or a cooler over the top by running an additional bungee from your new padeye to the grip and back. Or, you have an additional tether connection for stowed gear. The rear hatch is not quite as convenient to get to and the aft carry position is a little far from the edge, but in this case, it works out quite well.

You could also do this with a standard screw-in padeye if you don't want to mess with the original cargo bungee layout. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Roadie ..G'Day Stringy
Thanks for all the good ideas on the kayak loading / lifting issue.
I think Ill just trade in my wife for a newer model with less miles..just kidding :lol: Getting a trailer sounds like the way to go..although adding another lift handle would not hurt either.
I could always pop rivet a handle directly to the sidekick crossbar. Its mounted solidly to the hull and should be able to withstand the stress load. :wink:

Then again with the way the cost of gas keeps rising maybe I should trade in my Mid Sized S.U.V. for a fast running Donkey. If I just loaded my kayak on the Donkey Roof Rack then there would be no place for my A$$ to sit..(pun intended) so a trailer would still be handy to have.
Hopefully the cost of hay is not to bad and with any luck maybe I can find a good used donkey with low mileage, turn signals and headlights on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks :lol:

Have Fun..cheers
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I finally got around to putting a handle on the tandem (Oasis). Works great -- with it, the boat becomes a lot easier to handle alone. The best location is right behind the forward seat.

A lot of people seem to have trouble with the reach. If you set up the boat so you can get your shoulder in it's an easy reach even for us 5' 10" guys. Here the boat is resting on two saw horses with its bottom against a wall. Sitting on a stool, adjust your height to get your shoulder squarely into the hatch, then rock the boat into your shoulder. This technique adds a couple of inches to your reach. This was an easy 2 finger reach:

A small socket extension makes the back side easy to reach once the nuts are started:

With one hand in the aft well and the other on the handle, the boat balances nicely. For those of you who have one of these beasts, you know it's no lightweight. Notice the legs always help support the weight of the boat.

No problem putting the stern up, which you might want to especially if you have the older swing up rudder:

or nosing the bow up first:

If you hook your cart on, you can wheel it directly from your vehicle right into the water, preloaded with all your gear -- pretty quick and easy! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can the Lift Handle be mounted on an Adventure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:38 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The original pictures here show it on the Adventure. I've also mounted one on a Revolution, Classic and Oasis. Installation has been about the same for all except the Classic, which has a very easy access from a small hatch behind the seat. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are two pictures missing on the original post am I missing anything important?

I need to do this since my left hand does not grip as well as the right hand. Bicycle crash, broken wrist, pins and such, sucks.

Post subject: Re: Get a Grip!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brazos wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
The Adventure Island has a nice aka bar behind the cockpit to help handle the boat. After using it for awhile, it became apparent that a grip like this would make it easier to handle any of the Mirage kayaks. So here's a quick project to help carry the day.

This addition uses Hobie's Lift Handle (pn # 71190001; about $8.00). You've probably also seen it in service on the AI and Outback. The hardware for this installation consists of a couple of 1/4 x 20 x 1" Phillips pan head stainless screws, flat washes and Nyloc nuts:

If you get one, make sure your dealer grabs the handle with the pre-made holes like the one shown, not the Bravo version without holes!

We're installing this between the cockpit and the cargo well. It should work on all the singles, not just the Adventure (shown). Make sure you can reach this region before you drill! Looks like this:

When done, you'll be able to lift the boat sunny side up using your new grip and the drivewell, like this:

This gives you a lot more gripping options than the alternative:

Once you grasp the versatility of these little handles, it's easy to get carried away and start putting them all over your boat! We already have 4 on the tandem!! 8)

Hobie might want to think about incororating that in there design. :D
Brazos

thanks for the reply, these look great. Installing these will not void or effect the warranty on the yak will it?