Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choices,Choices
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Help!!!

I'm getting 2 Kayaks 1 for me 1 for my wife @ first it was going to be a Sport for her and a Outback for me then as I researched it some of the lakes I'll frequent have length limitations 11' min. so the sport is out so then it was 2 Outbacks, then while reading some of the posts around the net it sounds as if as time goes bye some of you have gravitated towards longer and narrower and away from short and wide so now thinking 2 Revo's or 1 Outback and 1 Revo I'm a big guy @ 6'4" 255lb. and the wife is a lite-w8 @ 115lb. soaking wet we'll mainly be chasing bass and trout probably not getting out into the salt.

Thanx in advance Fastfish/Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am interested to know what you mean by 'some of the lakes have length limitations'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gorkle,
Some lakes have limits on the size of the water craft you can put in it. A lake where I sail often has a limitation:
- no boat longer than 17'
- no motor bigger than 10 or 15 hp (I don't remember exactly)

And all this is strictly enforced. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Fastfish,
Yea--back to Gorkle's inquiry. I have not heard of a minimum length limitation before, but we do have maximum length and HP limitations on some lakes here as well. I would say the Sport would be perfect for your wife. That is what I got for my wife--only problem is that I use "her" Sport most of the time now (saltwater only) since its light weight is a lot easier on my back than my OB. I have even done a surf launch and return and fished over a mile out in the open Atlantic off the East Coast of Florida in the Sport.

I would also double-check on that minimum length limitation if I were you. I'm assuming you are located in California. I did a quick check on Calif. F & G regs on boat length. For example, Lake Casiitas in SoCal does in fact have a minimum length of 11 ft. But, if you continue, you get this addendum:

"Boats must be a minimum of 11′ and a maximum of 26′ in length, and a minimum of 4′ wide. Canoes, kayaks and some inflatables are allowed. " That 11 foot minimum length applies only to boats, not kayaks, at least on this particular lake. Hope this helps.

If there is no exception on your lakes for canoes and kayaks, then either the OB and/or the Revo should work fine for you both. Just my $.02.
Good luck,
Dick

P.S. Here's my (wife's) Sport ready for action along the Forgotten Coast of the Florida Big Bend.

Last edited by Apalach on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

FF, welcome to the forum. If possible, you want a test drive in each boat before you buy -- the Revo and OB have much different handling characteristics, and everyone's tastes is a little different.

The Revolution, for instance is a little lighter in weight, faster (= greater range) and quieter in the water, but the Outback has a greater initial stability (which comforts some people) and has lots of tray space to lay your gear out on. Both are very popular fishing platforms. If you find you can use the Sport after all, it's lighter and more maneuverable, but would only accommodate your wife.

Apalach is a good example of the advantage of having two different models. As it turns out, he prefers to use his wife's boat when she's not using it! Sometimes it's good to have a choice. 8)

Post subject: Oooops!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The only lake I found was lake Casitas but it turns out I misread there regs there is no regs for the kayak lengths but there is a min. for boats 11' my bad.

I'm still torn on which way to go but the decision is starting to look alittle easier.

Fastfish/Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get a REVO and an OUTBACK that way you have the best of both worlds ! !

... good luck , both are good choices

Oscar

Post subject: Happy,Happy,Happy!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well just got home with 2 new Kayak's 1 Outback 4me and a Revolution for my wife.

Now I can't backseat her anymore she's gonna truly outfish me now.

Last edited by Fastfish on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WTG Fastfish!
Congrats on the new boats--you will love them! Both are excellent choices. Be sure to post some reports of your exploits.