Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thomas wrote:
bow stirrup just might work in a crunch ...but even though I do tether my drive, I would have a hard time dumping $500 into the water....

This is something I've not considered, i.e. tethering my drive(s) at all times. I was thinking I'd only tether my drive if I took it out to work on it, or to lay it up the front of my Oasis when solo fishing to make room up the back.

Are you guys tethering your drive(s) at ALL times?

Oh, and Thomas, your stirrup idea sounds very good. I've not tried a deep-water remount. I think I have the strength to manage, but might need your technique one day. I've been very silly not to practice this yet. Bad Gorkle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Gorkle,
I only tether the drive when removing it in deep water.
You shouldn't have any problems getting back on your Oasis. We have done it many times.
The KFS 'Safety' forum
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/6116019354
has some useful info and discussion on re-entry including pics.
There is also this helpful video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QA4ueYubnBE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I keep my mirage drive tethered all the time. I installed a padeye on the front wall of the cockpit and have a short rod leash as a tether. One end goes into the last peddle adjustment hole and the other attached to the padeye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gorkle asked:
Quote:
Are you guys tethering your drive(s) at ALL times?

You betcha--it's $450.00 screwup waiting to happen if you don't. It is so easy to do, there is no reason not to. Note the paracord leash from the sidewall eyestrap to a shackle on the drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tried over the stern, tried Hawaiian sling(aka stirrup), tried floats on paddle tips...At 295 lbs and 6' 2"" (plus L4-5 laminectomy), I was FUBAR'd..... until... I now pack along a pair of swim fins that let me get the extra kick, to get the midsection high enough to overcome the OB's stability..(and crashing down on top of you upside down when you pull too hard on the handles!!)

Tight lines... and remember... the "curvy deck" goes down!!! LOL

Jack

ps Use a pool to practice this!! Do not think this is a "small" thing to master.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
...and remember... the "curvy deck" goes down!!! LOL

Jack

I used to be 340 lbs about 3 years ago, but am down to 260 today. That might help with self rescue. Kayaking helped alot with the weight loss. Unfortunately I have been traveling too much lately to take the time to get dunked, get wet, and then climb back out! I think the fin idea is excellent and will try that if the stirrup does not work.

So the curvy side goes down? T'was wondering why my drive fins were pointing stright up. ;-)

thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, it's been a full year since my last post on this string. Just thought I'd share that, unlike the problems I had with self-rescue with the older Outback (which defeated not only me, but also two seasoned kayakers who TEACH self-rescue in traditional kayaks!), the newer Outback hull (with the smaller keel depth) proved to be no problem. I did it on my first try and did it several times afterwards. I did NOT need stirrups or paddle bags or anything. The hardest part after yanking myself up was being careful to swing my butt to the same side as the seat was located.

I should mention that I did run across a problem I didn't expect. When tipped over fully with keel sticking straight up, the Outback, being as wide as it is, is a real challenge to flip back. In fact, I failed several times to right the thing ...until I realized I could grab the flippers (as close to the hull as possible so you don't put too much lateral stress on them). Once the flips were grabbed, all I had to do was climb up some till my body weight forced the hull to rotate upright. Be careful though, cuz the hull flips fast and could hit you hard on the head.

Now that I can self-rescue, I am much more confident when far away from shore or near "unfriendly" shores. I'd recommend that every kayaker take a day to get wet and try a deep water self-rescue. Be sure, of course, to be near shallow water and have a friend nearby to rescue you from your self-rescue if need be.

Until you actually do it, you really don't know if you can self-rescue. And you may also be surprised at what starts floating away from your yak ...such as your paddle and fishing gear, which will give you a fresh perspective regarding tethering. I was also surprised that my life jacket had unzipped several times. And be sure to have something to securely hold your eye-glasses to your face!

Don't wait till you are in serious trouble miles from shore to discover the finer points of self-rescue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thomas,
I'm a new member here and I wanted to thank you for updating this thread ....It happens that I am debating whether to get an Outback or a Revo and have been leaning toward the Revo ....Everyone has tried to tell me that with my size at 250 lbs they automatically say OUTBACK ....I went to a Hobie peddle demo , and peddled the Outback, the Revo , and a PA ....The PA is a boat and is out of the question, and I found the Revo to be the better for me of the 2 remaining ..... Reading this thread made me reailze that it will be a LOT easier for me to flip the Revo back over in case of an emergency, and as big as I am , it should be a LOT easier for me to get back in the saddle again too !!....Just one more item in favor of the Revo for me ... Thanks again ....Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Jim,
A hearty welcome to you and congrats on deciding on a new yak. Both the OB and the Revo are great boats and should serve you well, whichever you choose.
Best,
Dick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My opinion....

It doesn't really mater how deep. 8 feet vs 200 feet. It's the same. But, wind and wave size determines it all. Getting back in a yak with big waves and some wind is very difficult. You really need to practice in those conditions. I guess we all practice in ideal conditions. I tried self-rescue on a very windy and choppy day. But it was just in 5 feet of water. I just folded my legs pretending it was deep. It was very hard in getting in... Took alot longer than I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dick,
Thanks for the welcome ...I've enjoyed what threads I have read of yours ....Jim

John,

Good advice ...I plan on finding a snotty day with somewhat shallow water to do my self rescue ... I will be fishing some rougher waters , and I'm of the idea that it's not IF I need to do a self rescue , but more WHEN I need to do a self rescue ... Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

not sure this helps .. but a wet video of a surprise capsize and re-entry on an i12. I have flipped a few times and found that entry over the stern works for me. I push the hull down as far as possible and then slide across. A dose of adrenaline also helps :)
The i12 is stable but also give a somewhat false sense of stability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzuUfiwGmKw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As others have stated, John is right. Wind and waves will add an extra element to a self-rescue. Still, I think first-timers should do this drill first in calm waters so they can collect their thoughts and figure out the best way. Then do the rougher weather rescue as the "next step" to be sure they can do. And in both cases always have a friend nearby to rescue you from your self-rescue if things don't work out.

Most of my paddling is on small lakes. Waves are usually not an issue ...but once in a while they can be. It's also an eye-opener to see your boat and paddle drift out of reach so quickly.

Thomas