Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a new Sport yesterday in Kona Hawaii at the new shop. Nice folks, Hobie would be proud. I have a bad left wrist and wanted something small and easy to carry, load, store, etc. The deal is that I am six three. I sat in it with the peddles on dry land and seemed to fit OK. I wasn't able to test it in the water though. I know we all have differant leg lenghts but overall as humans we aren't all that differant. So can someone please tell me that they are tall and have a Sport and fit in it when peddleing. Thanks, konatom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi konatom and welcome to the forum. Fortunately the Hobies don't shrink too much in the water so if it fit you on land, that's a good sign. Sorry, I'm not your height and don't have a Sport, but I do have a taller friend with one and have enjoyed using one myself.

You're pretty tall for a Sport, but the fit depends more on your weight and inseam than overall height. There are at least three things you can do to get more leg length.

1. First, make sure the pedals are adjusted all the way forward to the #7 position. Some folks don't realize that the pedals are adjustable.
Also, make sure your seat pegs are mounted in the rear set of holes.

2. Your footwear should be thin like aqua shoes, rather than thick sandals. That can make up to an inch difference.

3. There is an older style of seat that is thinner and lacks the lumbar support cushion. It sits you a little further back and lower giving you at least 1/2 inch additional leg space (on right, below). I find it quite comfortable and use it exclusively. You may be able to find one or make a trade if necessary.

4. Your foot position on the pedal is important regarding leg length. Make sure you have the straps opened up to allow the ball of your foot over the pedal.

The Sport is a great little boat, but if you still feel cramped, the Classic weighs about the same but has a longer cockpit (and is 3 feet longer overall). Although they're no longer made, there are a number of them around. Disadvantages -- the cockpit doesn't adapt well to fishing attachments, limited storage space and no provision for a sail:

Another alternative might be to move up to a Revolution with a trailer (or pick-up bed). With practice and a cart, you can roll it right up and just shove it on. On the other end, you just roll it right into the water and then pull the wheels (yes, they float).

No matter what you decide, make sure you try it before you buy it! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 6' 3" and have peddled my dad's Sport with no problems. Unless you have unusually long legs, I think you should be OK. Enjoy your new ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
The deal is that I am six three. I sat in it with the peddles on dry land and seemed to fit OK.

Hey Tom,
Whoa--you're 6-3? That is pushing it for a Sport IMHO. I never use my OB anymore, but use my wife's Sport for everything (except when she is along!). I am 5-11, about 175 lbs. (and 30 inch inseam length), and find the Sport can be pretty cramped at times. But, I like it for the same reason you do--its light weight. With the old seat full back(and a fully packed fanny pack on its rear) and the pedals full forward, I have trouble getting a full extension for any type of vigorous pedaling--instead I generally use half pedal strokes to get around. It works, but I sure don't want to race Roadrunner in my Sport! :mrgreen:

Actually, now that I think about it, the fully packed fanny pack on the back of my seat probably pushes me at least 4 inches further forward, so that may explain the difference--I probably need to carry less gear! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I am 6'2", inseam 33". I also bought a Sport last year. I use the newer (thicker) seat simply because I had too much pain with the old one.

Although I can't get full leg extension, I find the compromise worthwhile since I just pedal/paddle recreationally. The boat is small enough to store & carry from my boathouse room.

I have thought about making or modding parts to allow longer throw, but they would be limited by the molded hull. Still, I may yet experiment with longer crank arms, zigzag pedal shafts, or modding the adjustment pins. Has anyone seen any other threads about this?