Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought a new outback a few months ago. I live in a cold climate so had only used it twice. both times in fresh water. During those two outings I felt the rudder was two sensitive. i read that others had the same issue and suggested the upgrade to the larger (twist & stow) rudder which i did. But I find the weight of the large rudder makes me feel like i am forcing the up/down handle as the rudder lifts off the deck. This weekend I used it in salt water for the first time. On day one the rudder worked as decribed above. On return home i didn't wash it donw as I was heading out early the next day. The next day I was in salt again and went ashore after a few hours to stretch. When reentered the water the rudder wouldn't come off the deck, even with a little help from my paddle. after much struggling I went back to shore and manually placed the rudder in the water. Inspection shows everything seems to be working fine. when i got home i washed everything down and it now seems to work better, still VERY tight but working. I suspect some salt water dried in an already tight situation. Can I take the assembly apart and put some sort of lubricant to help it work better? If yes what kind is recommended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the rudder tuning instructions on the kayak FAQ page - it may be just an easy adjustment of the pivot bolt~

link: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6943

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pivot bolt was too tight, just as you mentioned. I also added dry lube - can't hurt! Thanks for the details, if I still have an issue I'll try those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same issue with the pivot bolt, someone who is assembling these is way overtightening them making it murder to get the rudder up/down. Now its a simple swing of the level

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If anyone from the factory is reading this I would also like to mention that when I upgraded to the larger rudder I noticed the head of one bolt was rusty. Further examination showed that the head of a screwdriver/screwdriver bit was broken off in the head and now permenantly attached which made a simple rudder replaced a real dog and required me to go to the local (10 miles away) marine store and obtain a SS replacement. Otherwise the yak is everything I had expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Rudder adjustments have been carefully reviewed during assembly for some time now. They are well aware of the adjustment issues since many reviews last year. I also would expect dealers to make these adjustments upon delivery of the kayak. I would assume old serial numbers on ones that are not adjusted properly. Now, that said, I would be interested to bring this up again here at the factory if a current boat arrives mis-adjusted.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)