Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks like the wellnuts on my ama are already pulling out.

What is the best way to fill the large hole drilled for the wellnuts?

I am thinking that if they do pull out, using the event as an excuse to move the crossbar back in front of the aft hatch instead of behind the seat as behind the seat they really do interfere with paddling a lot.

I read other posts here and on KFS, but did anyone ever get any real world sailing experience with the AMA mounted that far aft?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think its ood they use wellnuts to hold the amas assembly. I thought wellnuts were only to be used on light stuff that sees little pressure. I am not that familiar with the assembly, but can you just remove the wellnuts and then replace them with proper stainless steel hardware (with large washers and nylon nuts)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the problem is one, the holes are 3/8" but the bolts are much smaller, still, washers and sealent could handle that.

The larger issue, and reason for wellnuts in first place, is that the standard location on the Revolution, just behind the seat, is not reachable by normal arms to hold the interior hardware in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I mounted the sidekick cross bar last week on my Revo behind the seat. I did get washers and nuts on the bolts. I had my nephew reach in through the back hatch. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a shallow socket. The lock nut went in the socket with the washer on top. I did use some sticky caulk to hold the washer. He was able to get it under the bolt and I screwed it on from the top. It wasn't that hard and we did all four in one try each.
I just didn't like what I was hearing from those that used the well nuts.
I haven't been out yet so I don't know if they will be in the way for paddling.
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ya'll
I've had my sidekicks mounted behind the rear seat of my tandem since day one a year ago. They work just perfectly for our needs mounted behind the back seat no matter what we our doing out on the water.
As for paddling interference with sidekicks mounted in the aft position ,I can only wonder why I would ever want to just paddle my Hobie Mirage Drive Tandem kayak with sidekicks on when I can pedal it and sail it much longer, faster and easier... :?:

In fact as the rear passenger/driver in our tandem , I must have one hand on the rudder handle to steer the boat most of the time when underway regardless. Therefore this would make it rather pointless to try and paddle our kayak by using just one hand only. If I ever grow a third arm and hand then it might be a viable option to have one hand on the rudder handle and the other two on my paddle but til that happens you can fergeddaboutit :lol:
Finally as the rear passenger/driver I have never paddled much anyway so mounting the sidekicks behind the seat was not a problem :wink:

We have our sidekicks installed primarily to reduce the possibilty of capsizing when under SAIL...in strong gusty winds and waves.
I have never been too worried about capsizing our kayak in normal conditions while underway without the sail up, so I could just take the sidekicks off anyway and stow them if I ever felt like paddling was my only option in getting from point A to point B and the sidekicks were interfering in my paddle stroke by being mounted in the aft position .
Since we use the sidekicks only when sailing ,mounting them aft was just more convenient. Its simple to remove or install them behind my seat rather than having to reach out over my legs and the mirage drive, then stop pedaling in order to install them in front of me at midship in our tandem and vice versa for taking them off again.

Our friends installed their sidekicks in the middle of their tandem and they are now in the way of both the front passenger who hits them with the paddle on the back stroke. and the back passenger who now would hit them with the paddle on his forward stroke if ever attempting to paddle with the sidekicks in place.

Finally as for the well nuts..they may be simple and convenient to install but I would suggest using stainless machine screws , fender washers and nylon insert locknuts as they are much a stronger fastening method when mounting the crossbar to the hull. My well nuts pulled out the first time I ever used my sidekicks so I just replaced them with the machine screws and nuts and they are now just about bombproof and no leaks. :wink:

Have fun
Kepnutz

Post subject: Pleez do Tell
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pleez tell us where the pic's were taken that were dated 6/3/07 looks very familiar but cannot place where it is @.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Emerald Bay in Lake Tahoe California...
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We have to paddle around here sometimes when going for these monsters:
http://charlestonfishing.com/forum/topi ... C_ID=60922

That one was caught in about 2 ft of water. With the oyster beds in that bay and using ST Turbo fins, or even standard ones, you bump the beds quite often unless you only flutter kick the entire time, and sometimes even then you need the big black stick.

The AMA's in that situation are great for standing up and sight fishing to spot tailing redfish, hence making bumping the paddle annoying.

But yeah, think im going to have to go the stainless route. Do you not need to fill in the 3/8" hole at all? Just used big enough washers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would fill in the hole with some caulk or plumbers putty while also using washers inside the hull and under the black mounting bracket on top of the hull. If you use standard # 10-32 screws, nuts and washers you should have enough O.D.. to cover a 3/8 dia hole but you can also use 3/16 x 1" fender washers if you have enough room .. :wink:
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lived on Lake Almanor for 7yrs thats just 2hr north of there thats why it looked familiar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow that place looks beautiful, would love to bring my AI there :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would too . When I get an A.I. . They are planning on developing a non motorized boats only zone around the circumference of Lake Tahoe for kayaks and other small craft . http://www.laketahoewatertrail.org/aboutus.htm
They have boat in only camp sites and you could sail and pedal/paddle your A. I. on a week long trip around the lake and camp in a different area each night,,. Sounds like fun to me. I lived here on the lake for 8 years when I was Ski racing and Ski Instructing in my younger days. The fishing can be very good at times. I caught some 8lb rainbows and browns right off the bank on the west side a block from where I lived.
:wink:

Here's a shot or two from the Eastside on a MTB ride I took last summer looking across the lake to emerald bay great place to yak and bike etc..

This one is looking toward the north shore above sand harbor beach on the east side

Have fun
Kepnutz