Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question regarding racks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a concern about transporting my Mirage Tandem. I have a Yakima rack system with Mako saddles, Hulleyrollers and bow/stern tie-downs, although this question probably applies to other systems. When I cinch the kayak down tight (so that it won't shift at freeway speeds), the bottom dents in. If I lessen the straps so that it won't dent, the kayak tries to turn sideways (as much as the tie-downs will allow). I have tried putting neoprene pads to spread the impact, which helps but is not a complete solution.

My concern is the the kayak will eventually be permanently dented from transporting it (this is one of the issues with roto-milled plastics). I have only had the kayak for a month but already the bottom is taking on a roller-coaster shape and is no longer gently curved. Is there a better way to carry it? Is it better to transport it upside down (with the rails carrying the weight)?

I am open to suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In the manual for my Mirage Sport, it says to store/transport the kayak on its side or upside down to protect the bottom. The sharp angles of the sides seem to be the strongest, so it will resist deformation the best. May I also recommend not to leave it on a car rack for too long. The heat from the sun with long periods on the rack will significantly deform your kayak. However, these deformities seem to dissapear after a short while when stored in its proper position.
If this cannot be done, I would suggest to find the widest surface area for your kayak to rest on while transporting. Can you put supports going lengthwise like a 2x4, or something similar under the kayak before tightening it down? Just a thought.

Scott.