I compiled a history as best as possible. This shows possible configurations starting from early boats to current.
- Original Twist and Stow rudders. 2 hole gudgeon with 2x 8030214 SCREW 1/4-20 x 1" BTN HD (may have had phillips heads now has allen)
- Retrofitted rudders - same fasteners
- Changed insert to add 3rd leg (visible 3rd hole) to add strength to transom. More plastic and 3rd leg creates more resistance to pulling out or pushing in.
- Updated lower screw to PH17-4 higher strength stainless. Production fasteners are not available in PH17-4, so we constructed of a stud and seized hex nut for a head (slotted end on stud) Upper 8030214 SCREW 1/4-20 x 1" BTN HD / Lower 8030346 SCREW W/NUT ISLAND GUDGEON STUD 1/4-20 x 1" PH17-4 W/ NUT SEIZED
- Decision was made to replace the PH17-4 assembled part and go to a larger diameter (and commercially available) 5/16-24 screw and use both upper holes with 1/4-20s. Late March 2012 started 3 hole gudgeons with 1x 8030355 SCREW 5/16-24 x 3/4 BTN HD SCK Lower and 2x 8030214 SCREW 1/4-20 x 1" BTN HD Uppers.
- AI hulls started coming with the same 3 hole gudgeon and fasteners in late 2013.
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Warranty and Technical Support
Hobie Cat USA