Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing and Camping Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any interested sailors are more than welcome to join me for either the day or longer as I embark on my first Winter Excursion to IR-43 on the border of Indian River and St. Lucie County in the Inter Coastal Waterway.
http://spoilislandproject.org/

I'll be launching from the Round Island Riverfront Park off A1-A, the morning of Jan. 22nd and returning the following Mon. the 28th.
http://www.sunfunguide.com/sunfun/round ... kwest.html

Seven days, six nights ought-about do it 8) . I'm really looking forward to some peace and quiet. I have a new, larger tent this year that I can actually stand up in, a sleeping cot, a new LP stove and a better cooler (to keep the beer colder :wink: ). Thanks to my new Haka Benches I should have no problem carrying all this gear out to the island.

On Fri. the 25th. a second group consisting of one TI and several Kayak folks are planning on joining me here or on SL-2 where I camped out last Winter. The weather predictions look good so far and the high tides are in the mornings. Come on out, there's good sailing and fishing spots all around this area and lots of wildlife to see.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well it turned out to be a great trip, with good weather for the entire week. Thanks to my Haka benches I was able to carry enough provisions to stay on the island for eight days and seven nights! My wife calls me Gilligan now :shock: .

My new stove with it's wind screen, a Marrmot Limestone 6-P tent and a sleeping cot all made for a much more enjoyable camping experience. There was even a full moon for a beautiful night sail as well.

On the weekend, another friend in his TI and five of his buddies came out in their kayaks and joined me. It was nice to have the company.

I saw plenty of dolphins, manatee's and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I look forward to getting back out here again real soon :wink: .

And yes that's a toasted bagel, made possible by my eco-friendly, recyclable "bagel toaster" :mrgreen: .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome trip!!

If you had stayed any longer your wife might have called you Tom Hanks. I hope you didn't come home with a beat up volleyball!! :D

WILSON!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Funny you should mention that. Actually, there was a beautiful spider that had built her web right next to my cooking area and I called her "Wilson".

Laura did come out and joined me for lunch one day, and to just make sure there weren't any mermaids out there either :roll: . Now that she's assured of that, she might actually go camping with me next time.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a great adventure Ezra! 8)
I'd love to see some bigger pics. Looks like you're well and truly loaded up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice trip! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
What a great adventure Ezra! 8)
I'd love to see some bigger pics. Looks like you're well and truly loaded up.

Okay I'v put on a few lbs I admit :oops: I call it Winter Weight, but really...? did the pictures not come through large enough?

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I meant the TI!
Your pics aren't much bigger than thumbnails. 800 x 600 is a good viewing size.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All small picts when I open them in another window.

Hope to see more, and get your commentary on the gear and wildlife when you have time. Please plop some shots over on the Haka thread too.

And welcome back to "reality".

Last edited by NOHUHU on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome trip, and I appreciate Sun E Sailor sharing his island with us! I will say this guy does know how to camp in comfort! Here's a few pictures I took of the models.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice pictures, SeS and Flaneur. My kids and I look forward to joining you next time.

SeS, in one of your pictures, it appears you are eating breakfast on a small picnic table. Is that one of your haka benches?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mkrawats wrote:
SeS, in one of your pictures, it appears you are eating breakfast on a small picnic table. Is that one of your haka benches?

No, I found these at Wallmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-F ... e/16537239 and I'm so happy I did. They're aluminium, very light and came in quite handy.

There was a picnic table on IR-43, but I set up my tent in a different location that I liked and left the table for the other folks that were coming out later in the week. Now I'm not relying on places to go camping that don't have picnic tables! I need to get one more, they're great.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Unfortunately it is expensive and takes a while to try out different kinds of camping gear; to see which one works best for you. Each year as my budget would allow, I've tried to improve on things and not just keep "borrowing" things from my kitchen (although that's been a good resource too :) ).

I did a lot of research beforehand and for my personal needs I'm very pleased with how the following items have preformed so far. Here is some of the gear I used on my recent camping trip:

1). I had a smaller Kelty tent last year and hated it. It blew down in the first strong wind and I vowed I'd get something stronger and large enough to stand up in this year. The Marmot Limestone 6P is a great tent! It's held up in some fairly strong winds and has ample room for two people and all the gear one might need to bring inside during a storm.
http://marmot.com/products/limestone_6p

2). Last year I tried sleeping on just a "Dream Time" Thermarest mattress alone.http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/ ... es/categor
It was okay, but still not enough comfort for my old bones. As extravagant as this might seem, the addition of a lightweight aluminium cot from Roll-a-Cot http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-cot.htm with the Dreamtime mattress on top was just the ticket I needed to get a good night's sleep.

3). Hanging from the top of my tent is this very cool LED flashlight from Black Diamond http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... er-lantern
It was the only light I needed inside the tent.

4). I decided to replace my old single burner butane stove with this propane stove from Texsport.
http://www.texsport.net/stoves-grills/s ... p-429.html
I found that the butane tanks didn't last very long, were harder to find and more expensive. The folding wind screen and propane tank stand I made really helped. I like this stove much better.

This year I tried a different method for keeping my food cool. I had a separate inexpensive Styrofoam cooler that was filled with just Dri-Ice. Twice a day I exchanged the plastic freezer pac's from my regular food cooler into the Dri-Ice cooler - back and forth. This method worked really well and nothing spoiled.

It's about being organized, and each year it gets easier. I use my Check Lists to help remind me what gets packed and into which duffel bag and a Daily Menu so I don't have to think about what to make; it's just simpler that way and I have a a lot of fun doing it :wink: .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

camping at Cayo Costa State Park, FL Spring Break 2012

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SunE,
Sounds like you had a great time and are setup well for extended stays! Did you see my snake friend while your were there?
Travis