Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dates are firm for the Chokoloskee to Pavilion Key trip: Mar 5-8, 2013.

This is the social event of the year in Everglades National Park (for Hobie AIs & tandems, anyway.) As many of you know, Pavilion Key is a beautiful island in Everglades National Park with a 1 mile long, west-facing beach. Lots of opportunity to walk the beach, take pictures, swim to cool off, and fish. It is in March and the fishing should be picking up. In addition, the WaterTribe 2013 Everglades Challenge will have started at Ft Desoto near St Pete on Saturday, Mar 2, and many of the competitors will be traveling along the coast while we are on Pavilion. All competitors are required to check-in to Check Point #2 in Chokoloskee.

Currently, Tom & Debbie Turner and Steve & Maria Sanders are planning to do the trip. Ted Jean, former AI owner, but now a Sea Pearl aficionado, says he is coming out on the 6, 7, & 8th. Claims he intends to get some fishing instruction. Maybe when he sees all the AI/TIs, he will flip again.

The tides are favorable for a comfortable launch in Chokoloskee and subsequent return. The launch time is 11 am, Mar 5. The return about 1 pm, Mar 8. Let me know if you will be joining us.

Keith
305-666-4184/305-979-3362
kwellma at bellsouth dot net

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Chekika,

Is there a good place on Chokoloskee to splash a TI for a day or even for overnight parking?

Thanks!
MB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBW--I don't like to pay the owner of the marina $10 to launch, $10 to land, and $10 overnight parking. Therefore, I and many others launch through an opening on the East side of the causeway about 900' before the marina. We park on the West side of the causeway just before the marina, just before a 4' mound with a utility box on it. I've parked there for years w/o problem. This Google image should help.

If you do launch for a day in Chokoloskee Bay, you want to be very careful--very shallow in much of the bay and LOADED with oyster bars in some areas. The large area south of Chok is full of oyster bars. Check it out on Google Earth before you go. It is not an area where you can sail at high speed for any distance.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome information. Thank you for the heads up about the oyster bars. I will use caution.

Next winter, when my wife and I come back to Florida, I will be sure to bring camping gear and, hopefully, we can join you all for a trip out to Pavilion Key or somewhere else.

Thanks again!
mb