Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock: what the heck!?!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If anyone would like to sell their Hobie, I know of a summer camp that is just recently on the market for at least 7 Hobies. Let me know if you live anywhere near NC and would like to sell your H16, I can put you in contact with the right people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We had a local of Cedar Island recover 5 of the 7 boats for us yesterday, and tow them to land. We lost 2 of the five masts, all the standing rigging is frayed, 3 mains and 2 jibs were with the boats (although they are very ripped/have things growing on them now), and every hull has quite a few holes. 3 rudder/tiller sets were still mostly intact and connected to the boats, so we have those. The tramps all seem to be fine though...

who knows, maybe mine is still afloat, these boats had some serious holes knocked through them from 7 days in the sound together, but still had enough buoyancy to stay up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are some pretty big chunks o foam between the pylons...I would think it would be damn tough to sink a 16.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, Cherokee (John?)... that is a crazy situation. If these boats are going to be parted out let me know if I can help with anything; as I've mentioned before there's another summer camp that needs a tramp or two and a mast. Probably more.

As for replacement boats, have you considered something other than 16s? On the one hand there are a bajillion old Hobie 16s around, so they are pretty cheap, but on the other they are not particularly durable. I could see a fleet of Getaways being a better idea, albeit more expensive. They can probably sit with water in the hulls nearly forever without damage, and tolerate impacts better as well. That said, there's a local 16 for sale, $600, that I'd be happy to check out for you.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobiesrock wrote:
There are some pretty big chunks o foam between the pylons...I would think it would be damn tough to sink a 16.

yeah, it'd be a much cooler story if it sank though. I'm gonna stick with that.

AntonLargiader wrote:
Wow, Cherokee (John?)... that is a crazy situation. If these boats are going to be parted out let me know if I can help with anything; as I've mentioned before there's another summer camp that needs a tramp or two and a mast. Probably more.

As for replacement boats, have you considered something other than 16s? On the one hand there are a bajillion old Hobie 16s around, so they are pretty cheap, but on the other they are not particularly durable. I could see a fleet of Getaways being a better idea, albeit more expensive. They can probably sit with water in the hulls nearly forever without damage, and tolerate impacts better as well. That said, there's a local 16 for sale, $600, that I'd be happy to check out for you.

Yeah, we always keep our parts, just because we know we'll need them eventually. It's not at all my decision on which boats we keep around, but I can say with some certainty that we'll be keeping Hobie 16s around for awhile. They are a bit more exciting than Getaways/the old H16s have a certain element of danger, and that really can build character. Thanks for the offer, but we have actually been coming across quite a few 16s to look at, not too far from us, from what I've heard. It'll work out, stuff eventually does that around here.