Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T2 Jib rigging
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi to everyone. This is my first post, apologies in advance if I break any protocols.

Have taken delivery of a T2 (aussie) and am having trouble rigging up the fore stay. Does anyone have any pics, diags of the T2 fore stay rigging detail?

I am a bit confused about rigging the jib with furler and forestay.

Also, have some issues getting the mast down, the bolt that its into the mast ball step is bent back about 10 degrees

Any ideas on sailing with it as is, should I try and straighten - could weaken more).

https://www.dropbox.com/home/T2?preview ... 59_Pro.jpg

Thnx

Post subject: Re: T2 Jib rigging
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

From another recent T2 buyer - the online owners manual and the parts guide for the T2 or Tatoo are both good to look at for reference, especially the owner's guide that comes with the boat.
The mast-step pin shouldn't be bent, and I'd assume that it's straightenable as it's pretty solid stainless steel .... unless the Australian version is supposed to have one end bent (like a trailer hitch pin in the US). Alternatively, it's possible it got bent if someone raised or lowered the mast without giving the mast the required 90 degree turn, or left the pin in while sailing (it's supposed to be removed, I believe)?
BTW, your dropbox link doesn't show the pin? image to non-dropbox users.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It rigs with furler only - no extra forestay - just use the luff wire as the forestay - the jib will stay on at all times - use the snorkel to cover it when not in use. Look at a getaway instruction if it's unclear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The jib setup for me was very frustrating because there were many pieces and no clear instructions.

If you have the Euro model (assume you are an Aussie?), they might have shipped it with a separate wire-only forestay. The jib has clips on it like the H16's jib. It was intended to be run up like the H16's, I was told.

The jib in the US version has a wire sewn in the jib similar to the Getaway's jib setup. See the Getaway manual. (And there is a T2 assembly manual dated 2013 still floating around the web that even another setup on the jib.)

When I got mine I had all these options -- the separate wire, the jib with the wire in it, and lots of pieces of rope... and no clear instructions. I was told to use the Getaway-style jib version. That's all the the factory would say. They were not helpful. The dealer was confused also.

At about 11 seconds in the video below you will see the jib furler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdUUwJrhDUQ

Also at 2:21 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2BPLA4N2js

As far as the mast pin goes, it is supposed to be removed once the mast is stepped. On mine, the pin would not fit in my mast base because the ball was either too big or the base socket was too shallow. I was told to leave the pin out (the truth). It sounds like the pin on yours may be too tight. You are not supposed to sail with it in. It is just for stepping.

I have since sold the boat. Good luck. I'd park it on the dealer's doorstep and ask for a clearer setup, repair, or a refund.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks all.

It is the Aussie version. I finally got around to sorting out most of the rigging details.
The Tang rig in the manual is incorrect. The trapeze wires (2 each side) go into a shackle each side of the tang using the top and center holes in the Tang.

This allows the two shrouds and fore stay to fit onto a shackle pinned to the lower tang hole.

In the rig bag, the ropes are too short to form a continuous rope running from the sail up through the pulley and then back down to the mast. I spoke I can just tie two together.

The pin that fits in the base of the mast for raising.... Well that was my fault. Lowering the mast to horizontal with the pin in resulted in the bend. Hope to get it on the water this weekend.

On the degree of rake on the T2.... Anyone have any ideas of sailing the mast straight up or other?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because I have other boats with furling jibs, I didn't find it hard to rig the T2. There was a little problem with the mast step pin being too large, or the pin hole being too small. Because it was so close, we just enlarged the step pin hole by a couple of fractional sizes and everything went smoothly from there.

In case you don't have it, here is the assembly manual for the Getaway which includes a good line drawing of how the jib tack and stay are connected to the furling drum: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... manual.pdf

One thing you might want to do is rig a pull line/halyard for the jib snorkel to make it easier to get on each time you park the boat. While it's possible to push the snorkel up the jib if it's very well furled, it's a lot easier to just pull it up into place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks to all for the getaway images and advice. Much appreciated.

but I am confused... again.

In the getaway manual they do away completely with the forestay and rely solely on a single wire within the jib for keeping sail and mast up. This is OK, but it requires leaving the jib on the boat in the snorkel. The local advice from the club was to remove most of the rigging since the compound is not secure and... things sometimes go missing.

So.....

I have rigged the forestay onto tang with the furler attached and am wondering whether it is safe to run the jib onto the forestay as shown in the attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z2ja6octditi ... t%20up.jpg

This allows me to remove the jib and leave the mast up.

Many thanks for comments.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may run into some problems with that set up. You can give it a try, but I think the jib furling will suffer and you'll have a hard time getting a nice tight furl. You'll just have to try it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I liked the option of being able to remove the jib. Obviously you have both options to work with -- the wire-only forestay and the jib with the wire in it. As I mentioned before, the H16 uses this kind of rig with furling jibs. I was told this was an option that was asked for by Europeans and was included for them. The halyard ropes probably aren't the right length though so you'll have to buy some other line -- they weren't on the one here. It seems like the T2's in those videos used this setup but it was hard to tell...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks.

I will will give it a go. You are right about the curler. But with the blade jib only, I wonder whether it really needs to be curled. I guess I'll find out.

Will let you know.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Being able to furl it gives you options that you don't have otherwise. For storage obviously, but also in certain conditions on the water. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because it's a narrow jib that it doesn't affect boat performance by much - sailing the T2 with and without the jib is like sailing two entirely different boats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a few questions on this too. I just got my T2 home this weekend and haven't set it up yet (But the dealer has it mostly rigged). Note this a "brand new" 2014 model the dealer has had for some time now.

1) I have the jib furler, but I don't see a stay adjuster anywhere. Should there be one? If so, what size (or better yet part number) so I can have the dealer mail me one.

2) The dealer also gave me a separate forestay. This is just an uncoated wire. I'm assuming this is to give me the option not to use the furler. Is that correct, or shouldn't it have been included? If it should have been included, should I have a block or other hardware to raise the jib? My jib does have some white clips on it in addition to the sewn in forestay.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

coreboarder wrote:
I have a few questions on this too. I just got my T2 home this weekend and haven't set it up yet (But the dealer has it mostly rigged). Note this a "brand new" 2014 model the dealer has had for some time now.

1) I have the jib furler, but I don't see a stay adjuster anywhere. Should there be one? If so, what size (or better yet part number) so I can have the dealer mail me one.

2) The dealer also gave me a separate forestay. This is just an uncoated wire. I'm assuming this is to give me the option not to use the furler. Is that correct, or shouldn't it have been included? If it should have been included, should I have a block or other hardware to raise the jib? My jib does have some white clips on it in addition to the sewn in forestay.

It rigs with furler only - no extra forestay - just use the luff wire as the forestay - the jib will stay on at all times - use the snorkel to cover it when not in use. Look at a getaway instruction if it's unclear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
coreboarder wrote:

Thanks Jacques. What about question #1? Should I have a forestay adjuster?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

coreboarder wrote:
Jbernier wrote:
coreboarder wrote:

Thanks Jacques. What about question #1? Should I have a forestay adjuster?

If you need any parts or there's anything missing contact your dealer - yes it should have an adjuster - everything is shown on the manual here: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/t2-manual-141121.pdf