Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pointing an 18
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Last weekend Margaret and I decided to race again after not racing for a couple of years. We seemed to do okay downwind with racing tactics and boat handling, but our upwind performance was less than desired:

We have a 1990 Magnum that has pretty nice hull conditions, a 15861 sail that is only used periodically because we prefer to use a square top in the lighter winds we have; medium diamond wires and we experimented with the downhaul and mainsheet combinations. The winds were around the 15 mph area, so nothing scary here. We tried to keep our weight forward and the upwind hull kissing the water by moving in and out of the boat with our weight. We total about 310 lbs. Our main competition was a great couple in a 1983 boat from Ohio (Bill and Judy) with a 13000 series sail, that never got on the wire at all because their total weight was higher. We should have been able to at least stay with them, but on every upwind leg, we would lose significant ground because our boat could not point as much as they could. My mast rake shows about a hole and a half on the furler; the shrouds were kind of medium in tension. I did think my jib luff was soft, but I didn't think about adjusting it until after the race. That's the problem with not having other boats to compare with; the beauty of one-design.

Anyone else have any tips on improving the pointing? I sailed the next day solo with the improved jib luff tension and it seemed to improve a bit.

Wyatt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have telltales on the main and jib? In addition to the stock locations, I like to have two sets in the upper portion of the mainsail, one on the second panel down, and one on the third panel down. These are very helpful in light and medium wind because they tell you the performance of the top of your main. Undersheeted, and you won't point, oversheeted and you're stalled. Get it just right, and the boat goes fast.

Also, you mentioned that you were moving in and out a lot in the gusts/lulls. Both you and the crew? In up and down conditions, the skipper is probably better off staying in one position, either in or out, so you can concentrate on steering. Moving around a lot throws off your steering and slows you down. Sit in the boat if you must, even if it means feathering the boat occasionally in the gusts.

You didn't mention the water condition. If it was choppy, then you may have been better off footing slightly anyway.

It's probably mostly a matter of experience with the boat. If the other sailor has been sailing and racing longer than you, he may just have a better feel for getting the boat to go upwind. Best bet is to just keep sailing, and sail more often with the stock main if that's what you're going to race with. This will give you a more consistant feel for the boat.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great comments! and I'll add from a post made on catsailor, paraphrasing here...

Remember it always looks as though your competition is pointing 5 degrees higher than you are. Concentrate on keeping your boat moving as fast as possible, whether it seems like your footing way off, or not.

Wyatt glad to hear you're out there racing and having fun 8)

Post subject: Pointing an 18
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When we were driving, over six hours of racing, we tried all kinds of combinations in going upwind, so I really don't think it was the over/undersheeting problem. When we decided to move in or out, it was not because of a gust or lull; it was to give a better profile to the boat and normally we would keep it for the continuation of a tack. When I say we couldn't point, I mean the boat was very different, perhaps by 3 degrees when we were almost right next to each other; and we were not in any wind shadows. I've been sailing this boat for over ten years and raced it regularly until two years ago: We took a couple of years off to race our J22. I'm still perplexed; maybe I'll try tightening the diamond wires a little more.

Wyatt