Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got a hobie 18 and it's been a blast. Even got a hull flying a few times today. I have sailed on a 27' monohull and the traveler setup was a little different.

Here's how I've been rigging it so far but it doesn't seem right to me ( I didn't thread it through the swivel cleat for the picture).

It seems like there should be 2 lines, one to move the traveler to the center of the boat that goes through the swivel cleat and another that tightens the boom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the other (bitter) end of your mainsheet is led through the traveler fairlead and tied off onto the bale in the middle of the rear crossbar.

...which I always found the knot would get hung up on the traveler car as it slid past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a pic of the Wave setup, although different hardware. Sometimes a pic does the trick Image

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome! I got it now and that explains why I had so much extra line for the main sheet. Pictures really do help, there's not very many on this forum.

I thought of something else too. When we bought the boat, there was one jib sheet that went through both things next to the dagger boards (I don't know what they're called, winches?). Anyway there was just one line and I couldn't figure out how to work it so I cut the line in half and now i have a port side and a SB side jib sheet. The Hobie paper work showed what should've been 2 sheets.

So should there be one that goes through everything or one for each side?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Anyway there was just one line and I couldn't figure out how to work it so I cut the line in half and now i have a port side and a SB side jib sheet. The Hobie paper work showed what should've been 2 sheets.

So should there be one that goes through everything or one for each side?

The jib sheet should be one continuous line for both sides. Take a look at the assembly manuals on this site or take a look at someone else's boat. Virtually every cat with a jib uses the same type of continuous system.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the continuous line is a real help when the rachet block (that's what its called) is waaaaay over the other side of an 8' wide boat, especially when you're out on the trapeze, because the near side block, which is close by, holds the same sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Alrighty then, I think I got it figured out. I can't remember how the jib sheet was rigged before I cut it but something wasn't right otherwise I think I could've figured it out.
I'll have to get a new line and rig it up this weekend.
Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

here's how to rig the jib sheet.
start on either side. tied off the sheet to the becket on the top of the rachet block, take it forward to the paired blocks shackled to the jib's clew and run it through the same side block top to bottom, lead it back to the same side rachet block through the bottom and the cam cleat, take it over to the other side rachet block, through the cam cleat, up to the unused same side jib clew block, bottom to top, back to the same side rachet block and tie it off on top. presto!