Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom,

There were only 3 18's competing at Mile High, none magnums or SX's. We raced in the open class, apparently there were 5 boats preregistered: 3 18's and a couple of the modern plastic cats, (sorry, don't remember the model names) but the plastic cats never showed that I know of. I believe there were 41 boats total.

I also raced a 16 back in the mid '80's and was up at Mile High several times. I wonder if we ever raced each other? :D

There was plenty of competition up there for a beginner sailor like me! One of the other 18's seemed to have it all dialed in pretty well, I think his name was Dino or something like that from Oakhurst. The only time I was anywhere near him was at the start! The other 18 seemed to have a lot of issues, and I don't even remember seeing them during the first couple of races on Saturday.

mike bennett
'81 Hobie 18

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Step 5 in the H18 Manual refrences to:

"Untie the jib halyard line and connect the luff tensioner to the block on the end of the jib halyard."

I have never unhooked the jib halyard line. That sounds like the start of my problems.

I'm not sure I have a luff tensioner. Is that just a 24" piece of 1/8 nylon line similar to the jib halyard line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine was a little heavier line but that should work. You will either have a thimble with a small block on it or just the thimble. I run the line down thru the shackle that attaches the jib to the furler and back up thru the block or thimble and then down into the cam on the sail. Tie it all up in case the cam slips and tuck the remainder in the zipper. This revelation should end your issues. Remember to tighten the rig before raising your jib. Only tension the jib enough to pull out the wrinkles. If you tension it too much and tighten the rig you are putting all the force of the main on the jib sail and it will tear at the top or bottom attachment point. This is the biggest difference between the 18 and 16 rigging. The 16 has a wire in the jib that takes the load of the rig while the sail simply travels along it, 18 jib doesn't have this wire.

Post subject: regular maintenance
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I typically hold the swivel upside down and spray it with a dry teflon type lubricant (so it won't attract dirt). This has made a marked improvement in my new old swivels' capability to turn, especially under load.

BJ