Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinnaker Size?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been trying to educate myself on the size of an asymetric spinnaker to install on a stock H18 with a comp tip. I know the install position of the mast tang, length of the pole and position of the sheet blocks.

Can anyone give me sail dimensions for a spin for this installation? I'm not looking for the hottest cut, but do not want to wind up getting a sail that's too small or big.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only spin made for a H18 is the SX spin which is a full cut chute for deep downwind sailing. A F18 spin is too tall for comptip install on a standard mast. A F17 or F16 spin will most likely be the right fit but rarely available used. I installed a F18 spin on a solid 18 mast but would be iffy on a comptip as the tang is so high. My 18SX mast really bends off in gusts and my tang is much lower than where yours will be. Having a F18 spin cut down makes the most sense to me. Several for sale used all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,
so if an F18 spin is too tall for a comp tipped mast, it sounds like a major re-cut of the sail? that's off all 3 sides? or shortening the sail height?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm no sail maker but it seems to me that the foot could be lifted without effecting the sail otherwise. I may be dead wrong in this assumption. On my boat the spin pole and chute are very low to the deck which I don't really like. This is due to a lower tang and bail height than a Tiger. I was afraid to go more than 1/3 of the way up the comptip. I think it would break if I mounted the spin much higher, especially in 10-15kts wind. You are really limited to trial and error on this. There are only a handful of 18s with a spin other than the SX spin. Even less with Tiger or squaretop main sail. Then add the self-tacker I installed and you've got a boat that few can help sort out. I raced this past week and my new chute is spot-on. The jib setup is settling in with me but the main sail continues to give me issues. I've gotten some great input on my main sail issues and feel that will be sorted out soon.

Post subject: H18 chute
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Nacra 6.0 New England chute at ~400 sq ft running to the masthead is too big. Made the mast bend at amazing angles up top...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have finally started to put my Sx spin on my boat and will give it a go shortly. I know it is an older design but what the hay.I do have a smaller spin (more modern cut) from a 17 ft daysailor that I can try as well. I think once you have everthing installed you could easily have one made or find a stock spin from something else. I did install my bail about 26 inches above the tangs on my comptip . For now I am going to use the stock pole,tramp launch but have an old sunfish boom that I will make a longer pole out of and install a snuffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Genmar,
You should have come to Catfest this year. It blew its tail off Sat, much fun. My boat sailed the best it ever has. Kept blowing the spin tack line out off the cleat, need to fix that. Main performed OK, still needs more prebend. She ate the 18s' for lunch, even beat them without the spin. Got second in open class while missing 2 races on Sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bring it down here. I would love to see what it can do against our 18s. My offer is still open. I chose to do Va beach instead. Ocean or lake? Hmmm. Congrats. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats to you! Looks like you kicked butt on the Chesapeake. I may come your way to surf soon but most likely gonna wax the boat and put it away for the winter. Gotta find a way to keep mice out of my sail boxes or keep the sails elsewhere. The little buggers tore up my snuffer sock last winter.

Post subject: Re: Spinnaker Size?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OlderBowman....I work in metuchen. Where do you sail out of?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Tiger spin is about 24" too tall and the leech needs to be a bit shorter than the luff. Depends on the Mid gearth and where the sheet blocks are set up. The older 18 spins are pretty full cut in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mma600psi-
my boat lives on its trailer at present. there are several places along Raritan Bay to launch from, beginning with the South Amboy ramp next to Lighthouse Cove, then the state marina in Leonardo (there's a great beach right next to it), then the beach run by fleet 250 in Atlantic Highlands. Maybe next year I'll see about joining that beach.

there are also 2 ramps up the Arthur Kill north of Perth Amboy. Seawaren and Woodbridge. if you like industrial landscapes, they are convenient.

many, MANY moons ago, I sailed with Fleet 452 in Waretown. First at Shore Marina, then we moved to Smitty's. Before that I cut my cat teeth with fleet 65 in Shore Acres.