Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H18 Outhaul
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I spent yesterday afternoon sailing Sarasota Bay in the remnants of Faye. We had 8-10 mph winds with gusts to 20 or 25 as squalls moved through.

The outhaul just didn't want to budge in heavy air plus I hate those crappy wedge cleats. I've replaced my 3-1 downhaul with an 8-1. Is there a replacement available for the outhaul?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While I'm not entirely qualified to answer your question, I suspect the outhaul is not very important, which is why you don't see many products or discussion on it.

Why did you want to adjust the outhaul?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have always thought that you use the outhaul along with the downhaul to flatten the sail upwind or make it fuller downwind for better performance.

During the squalls yesterday I wanted to do the opposite because there weren't a lot of other boats out and I didn't really want to practice my righting procedures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's easiest to adjust the outhaul if you ease the mainsheet first - especially if you want to increase the tension. I've never heard of an upgrade for the outhaul. It's usually more of a gross adjustment and not something that most people would be concerend about tweaking while sailing along (unlike the downhaul).

Some people upgrade the cleat with a harken spinlock for easier cleating and releasing.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What if you moved the cleat in a bit, put a block on the existing line and then ran a line from cleat through the block and back. Would that effectively make it 4-1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of the internal boom systems use blocks for outhaul. I've never seen it rigged internally on the 18 boom but am certain it could be done. Pulley at the end of the boom and one inside would do it. Interesting idea but don't see much need for it as the outhaul is not typically trimmed during sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My personal opinion ,buy a car rebuild kit.Clean the track out.(you must drill the rivets out anyway)Put new shockcord in and forget about it.In 25 years of sailing Hobies I have never found the outhaul adj. worth messing with once I setup for the day.You can load the boom up by really honking in on the line but this does little ,(in my opinion) to alter the sail pocket shape above the first batten.I think you may be overthinking this adjustment.
Shawn
82 H18 #8211
Div.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
My personal opinion ,buy a car rebuild kit.Clean the track out.(you must drill the rivets out anyway)Put new shockcord in and forget about it.

I have to agree. Trying to make the outhaul more sophisticated is really adding complication to something that doesn't need to be complicated. Make sure the stock system works smoothly and that the cleat holds and you should be good.

Even during races, I rarely ever adjust the outhaul, it just doesn't make that much difference.

sm

Post subject: HobieU
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice to hear the outhaul is not worth the trouble. I was just reading the HobieU.pdf and was about to ask the same questions here.

fwiw HobieU says

light wind downhaul - Bottom batten 1" - 2" draft
moderate air - Bottom batten 0" - 1" draft
heavy air - tight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recall the Performance Manual saying 3 to 5 inches in light air, that's what we used and it worked well, especially with light air and choppy water when you need power.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey J.S. This isn't about the outhaul ....
I have a H18 and am about 40 miles south of you in Punta Gorda. I thought we might be able to help each other out now and then, and share some info about rigging etc.
I tried to email you, but it came back undelivered, so the address must be bad. My email link works, so send me an email, and we can get acquainted.
I'm interested to know if you use that Cheata motor mount, and do you like it? I may want to buy one for my 18.
Thanks,
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The only time I worry/use the outhaul is when going down wind, helps for a fuller sail, pulling it tighter will just hurt the sail. Try it when on shore - not gonna help later on.

Rather ease your mast rotation to full to kill power, centre the traveller and sheet out main, encouraging twist.

Post subject: HotWings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey HotWings. I just switched to FIOS from Earthlink/BrightHouse. I have updated my profile. I couldn't find an email in your profile.

Post subject: Re: Cheata Bracket
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am thinking about getting a Cheata bracket and outboard for my 18' Magnum. Probably most of the time, I will be in the Chesapeake Bay which can get fairly strong winds and disruptive/high seas. (This is particularly true when you are caught out in a summer storm)[b][/b]

So my questions are as follows: what horsepower engine do you use; what shaft length is best (I am concerned with the short shaft that it will be coming in and out of the water when the wave action heats up); what approximate speed do you get both without and with significant head wind?

Thanks In Advance!