Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well yesterday we took my '88 H18, fresh from her complete refit, down to the Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club for her shakedown sail. The day was clear and dry, with a nice 10knot NW breeze. My excitement grew as the club was gracious to let me launch from their beach. Nearly an hour later after checking and double-checking all the changes and mods I had made on the boat, we were ready to shove off. Like turning a switch, the wind went from 10 kts to -3kts... and we drifted for a little while before I dragged her back to the beach and waited... and waited... for nearly 4 hours until the wife and daughter convinced Dad to give it up. We did go out one more time when the breeze seemed to finally fill in, but it was not to be.

sigh... I consoled myself with a couple beers and some great seafood.

I have a NOODS regatta next weekend in Larchmont, NY and the Fall Series Regatta in Perth Amboy, NJ the week after (on a J109), it'll be 3 weeks before I get to try again!

BTW, my prayers to all you sailors along the Gulf for your safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi John,

Ain't that the way ..... blowwing while your rigging .... then ____ when you are ready to leave the beach.

On Sept 27th and 28th there is a Div11 Hobie Points Regetta at Rock Hall Yacht Club in Rock Hall Md .... it looks like the majority of the Div11 H-18 fleet are planning to attend .... we should have 8-10+ H-18's on the starting line. Why don't you come on down ... it is about 1hr 15mins south of/from the Del Memorial Bridge.

It is a great YC w/ camping, swimming pool, bar/restaurant, excellent launch beach and friendly people

Go to www.rockhallyachtclub.org for more information, directions and pics ....

Harry Murphey
H18/#9458
Fleet 54/Div11
Rock Hall Yacht Club

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject: Whoops
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris

I was reading John Lunns post before yours and called you "John" .... my mistake .... still you should come as it will be a great event ...

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

that's OK Harry...

last time I raced down that way was Elk Neck with Gary Patterson many moons ago. I do like the area a lot.
thing is... I have the Larchmont NOODS this weekend and the RYC Fall Series the weekend after... plus we are still looking at colleges for next year.

I don't think I'll be down this year... maybe in 2009.
besides, it'll give me time to get her tuned up to max speed so I can at least make a decent showing for myself.