Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New (to me) Hobie 18
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings everyone,

I have been sailing and crewing on catamarans for 7 years now, and I finally decided it was time for me to get my own cat. I found a Hobie 18 magnum in Wisconsin for cheap and once seeing it bought the boat on the spot. The hulls are immaculate, the mast is in excellent shape, and the whole rudder system looks like it was used twice.
My only problems are the boat didnt come with sails and it probably needs a better mainsheet system, like a 6:1.
The tramp is in good shape, but dirty. Is it possible to bleach the tramp white?
I decided on a Hobie 18 over the 16 because I am a big guy ( 6'5" 260lbs) and greatly enjoy the extra strings/tweaking of the rig.
Unfortunately, I hoist my boat in and the harbor where I enter the lake is very narrow. I think I am going to have problems with the wings getting in the way of hoisting/paddling through other boat traffic. I would greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions on what I should do with the sails, mainsheet system, and wings (I do have experience trapezing).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard!

1. Depending on how much you can afford and if you want to race or not, used sails could be the way for you. Racing requires sails made by Hobie. Use your best judgement buying used sails, try to avoid sails that are old (low sail number) and/or need repairs. Call some dealers around your area and ask them if they have something.

2. Sure, get a new main sheet system. It can only help.

3. Just scrub the tramp as best you can. Search the discussion forum for cleaning ideas. If the tramp is tearing you might be able to stitch it back, but a new tramp isn't a bad idea. Hobie-made tramps are the best deal for the price/quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did you buy that yellow one that was on Craigslist? Looked like a great deal.

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep, that was the one. We don't get many Hobies for sale in Illinois or surrounding areas often, but I took a chance on this 18, did the 5 hour drive for the boat, and bought it. One of the big selling points was the 2-year old standing rigging and dual trapeze gear. :D

Just a question, how does the 18 compare in speed to the Prindle 18 or the Nacra 5.2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as the sails go, I've only ever sailed with stock Hobie. They're generally good quality, and if you take care of them, they will last many seasons.

For the main blocks, 7:1 purchase is stock. You can't go wrong with a good set of Harkens.

Tramp stains can be frustrating. A good scrub brush and some Ajax works pretty good.

Also, you mentioned that the rigging is recent. I would also replace the anchor bolts on the shrouds. And you should add the front crossbar reinforcement kit if it isn't already installed.

As far as speed compared to the Nacra and Prindle, they're probably all pretty close. The person at the helm being the decisive factor.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

waveaction10 wrote:
Just a question, how does the 18 compare in speed to the Prindle 18 or the Nacra 5.2?

Try comparing the Hobie 18 to any other monohull (except maybe Skiffs), and you'll be surprised how much the 18 will smoke them. A good kite surfer or windsurfer will be tough to beat, but console yourself that your boat can carry more hot girls and refreshments than they can, and in much lighter winds. And with this modification you can rule the lake. And with the latest Radar Lock option you can eliminate all competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok as for the speed of the hobie 18 i will get alot of controversy when i say this but dependent on the rig I would say from the speed we get out of our boat we seem to be racing the Nacra 5.8 round the coarse we manage to beat the majority of the top Nacra pack in Australia. We have claimed our fair share of Tigers,Taipans,Capricorns,A classes and just on occasion even been seen beating Tornado's it will go its fastest when the wind is low down on the water to utilize the genoa like jib that the 18 is so famous for.
As an all round boat the 18 holds many characteristics that you will not find on many boats the easy furl jib gives you control to simply furl it if the breeze becomes too strong.