Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sailed a Getaway yesterday and the crew liked the netting forward of the Getaway's crossbar.

Has anyone tried connecting netting forward? I'm thinking additional storage...maybe put a 50# kid out there for walking the plank...connect to the bow tangs and crossbar...what type of netting would work/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Years ago (in the 80's) I saw a H18Mag that had a "Front Tramp"/Foredeck installed .... it was constructed of 2" nylon strap and went about 1/3-1/2 way out to the bows. It was attached to holes drilled through the gunwale lip (if I remember correctly) .... I do not remember if there were any attachment points on the front crossbar .... maybe some padeyes installed on the trailing edge of the front crossbar, definately NOT on top though.

I also remember seeing a H21SE w/ basically the same set-up once .... they where "after market" products and not "factory"

It was called the "California" Package/Option at the time

I would suggest SUNRISE Yacht Products in Florida(St.Petersburg??) .... they make most the custom tramps for Open Class Cats, Tri's and Cruising Cats in my area here. They run an ad in Cat Sailor Magazine/Online Store .... excellent workmanship and custmer service. I'm VERY happy w/ the tramp I purchased for my P19MX ..... I would use that same material, not the 2" nylon strapping, and have them construct it on the 45 degree bias like they did my P19 tramp .... they can explain how that works to you ....

Good Luck

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

did it today...runs full lenght from rear tramp cross bar to where the bridles attach to the bow. it's like a 12'x6' shelf that lies 8" below the tramp surface...stay in touch i'll have a kit ready come
august. in the $250-300 range... i'l send pictures of my boat when i get back from vacation( sailing in SC all weekend).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where in SC will you be? I will be in N. Myrtle this weekend, specifically Windy Hill. Another friend is bringing his 16 with new spin down for some testing. We will be 1 block from the Beach Cove.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There was one on here not too long ago. He used a section of mast to connect the hulls in the front.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i was in lake wylie west o charlotte.
no need to connect the bows. just lots of tension on the net! it still sags about a foot in the center. I took it in until the bridle wires were sagging and then let it out until they came back under tension. i wouldn't walk on it but it makes life so easy... example.
i go the bmv rules and was like " where the f*** am i supposed to put all this?"
pfd, horn,papers,paddle,wallet, etc. the net gives me all the storage room i needed and then some. just went on a camping trip with my girlfriend and sailed out to an island with our gear in the net (2 40lb packs+food and the usual) beached the cat for an overnight, and packed up early to continue on while the lake was still empty. (still haven't perfected my skills yet) 4 days of solid use and not a single complaint. I used to "island hop" in a kayak but after about 2 days you lose most of your armpit hair and from there its all downhill.
How eactly do i post pictures ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

FAQ on image posting...

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Jack,
I am still interested in pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the friend I worked with to make them sells them on eBay (itm#250507669831) the pictures in the listing are of my boat. I'm workng on one now for my hobie 18 boomer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nope sorry thats his 16.....I'll try and have pictures soon leaving next week for china b back feb 27thish.
the 18 system looks the same as the 16 (the under tramp section being significantly smaller)
the new one we're working on does away with the undertramp "shelf" it worked great for life jackets and paddles but it was too small and too wet for anything else.

really the deign depends on what you want. if you want to throw some stuff up front for a holli' no problem. if you want to store a dog, a kid, or an additional person; different story!
that means tramp brackets up the sides, a front crossbar (much like a 21sc) an Prodigious amounts of work!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bought an industrial sewing machine, placing a SaleRite order for tram material (that grey stuff on the front of the getaway) hop to have something together in the coming months