Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It is getting time to replace the main tramp on my SX again. I was really wanting a red mesh tramp. Matt, I am curious if through my dealer I can have a red tramp custom made at Hobie, and also what the possobility of adding a pocket to the underside for the righting line would be. I am hardly class legal but I feel strongly that Hobie makes a better product than any of the aftermarket tramps. I would treat the two questions as seperate. Even if red is impossible I would like to have the extra pocket heat welded to a black mesh tramp.

Collin Casey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Red is not possible due to the material not being available. Has to be a specific vinyl product to work. We also do not do custom trampolines, but I am willing to discuss adding a pocket for you. Work with your dealer to describe location and size. If similar to the existing pockets we place on top... should be possible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt.

I will get with KO Sailing, my local retailer, and have Melissa give you a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jack Flash -

What's the advantage to the pocket on the bottom of the tramp?? FYI, the pentex jib I bought from you went through its second season in great shape. How's the pentex main/dacron jib working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

Jack Flash mentioned in his post he wants it for keeping his righting line accessable when capsized .... I do somewhat the same thing by installing a LARGE Murrey's Tramp pack tied onto my tramp at the front crossbar. This gives me a place to stash items .... including a collapsible paddle and a throwable cushion, as my boat is larger then 16' .... THE NEW JERSEY MARINE POLICE are getting to be a real PAIN-IN-THE-A_S's, and will write you a ticket for the smallest reason ..... they gave my friend on a H17 sailing single-handed a ticket several years ago for not having a throwable ... he asked (quite reasonably) " ... if I fall off the boat who will throw it to me? .... The officer's reply was "it doesn't matter, you still need to have one ...."

.... and you wonder why I take my $$$$'s and boat, and do most of my sailing now-a-days in Maryland ...

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt- Would it be possible to add a pocket like Jackflash is talking about to an older tramp? I was thinking the same thing for my righting bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure its possible - but we only do welding here, and after a tramp is used you sometimes have issues getting a good bond. Making a tramp pouch on a brand new tramp while we're building it is much easier than us trying to do it as an afterthought. (not to mention we aren't really set-up to handle returns and repairs here) I would suggest to contact a local sail loft and have one sewn onto the tramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

Glad to hear the jib is treating you well. I have now gone to a self tacking jib and am loving it. It is really well balanced with the huge squaretop main. How is the balance with that large jib and stock main? Any performance differences that you have noticed with the big pentex jib?

As for the tramp I was wanting a pocket on the under side for the righting line to be stuffed into. I have since decided against it as it would be hard to restuff the line while returning to the race after a capsize. I ordered a new tramp from my local dealer (which they had in stock) and installed it last weekend.

Collin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Collin,

The Pentex jib works great with the standard main! Going upwind, I bring it in close and cleat it and forget it until we go over (lol) or go downwind and bring the spin out of the turtle bag...

Uncleating an H-16 jib seemed to depower a 16 well-enough to prevent some capsizes in strong gusts. Uncleating the SX jib seems to depower very little. Got to adjust the main.

Have tried the jib up with the spin going downwind to check performance. I prefer to furl the jib downwind...it's just cleaner. Take care.

Post subject: self tacking?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jack Flash: I've never heard of such a thing; can you explain?

Wyatt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The self tacking jib is centered on a trackrotates from side to side. Standard on a tiger. works verry nicely.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jack Flash: So you have to considerably shorten your H18 jib? The Tiger jibs work nicely, but they are compensated for by the huge spinnakers.

Did you use a Tiger jib?

Wyatt