Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

what if i leave the big guy's at home with there wives''complaining'' and just take 1, Total crew weight 160 kilo's and dont forget the wings. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If I were you, I would also reinforce the shroud anchor points, just in case :wink:
Taller mast = more leverage against those points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good call waveaction10, i do have cabon fibre on hand,,,well its not on my hand, its in the shed. CHEERS :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The tiger Mast comes in at 29.6 feet, what i am doing is asking for just 2.4 Feet, weight on this much mast is not a lot. But its great to here all your views, it helps me and anyone else that is following this thread. CHEERS ..pepsi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You haven't said whether you will be pin top or square top on the 32' mast. The H18 has a 28' mast, the SX and Tiger roll at 29'6" so the 32' mast doesn't seem crazy. A lot of rigging will need to be changed and it will all be custom. What about the foot on the sail for a 32' mast, will it fit the boom? Wings will be an advantage for you with the taller mast. I'm guessing you have access to a Supercat mast, double spreader or single? More details about the mast and sails will help. What about the mast step, are the extrusions similar? Also check your crossbar for corrosion closely, I would remove it to examine where it cradles the hull. Be sure the rivets for the step are solid and the dolphin striker is properly tensioned. The boat can handle it if the boat is in good condition, a weak boat will fail under standard rig. I think this project is workable but may prove to be costly. My guess is you will need bridle, forestay and sidestay wires custom made, may need to alter the step, and add all the extra brackets for the stays and front crossbar if not allready done. Then report back to us on how fast she sails!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi ncmbm glad to meet you , i was told to seek your guidance here as you have had experience with your own craft, experimenting and so on. i do have a brand new section of mast which is 32.2 feet in length, it is almost identical to the one i have,Except for the length, i had not considered double spreaders. i was going to move there anchor positions further out. mast post rivets are not a problem as they have been removed & a compensating plate welded on & then the post was welded to that. boom has been replaced with a heavy section & is only 6 inches longer, boat is in good cond & dolphin striker Ass will be checked have all the gear hear except sail which i cant get made until jan,,,the weather is also trying at the moment, Just keeps raining. I am glad you found this article, i will post a picture when finished,,,Buy the way how fast did yours improve,,was it all worth it when finished. Stay in touch CHEERS pepsi :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of all the changes done to my boat the self-tacking jib is by far the best. Getting the blocks and line off the deck and moving all the controls to the crossbar is awesome! The Tiger main is stealth but not decidedly faster than a stock 18 main. The flat cut F18 spin is another bright point.

If you have a solid piece of extrusion I would suggest cutting it to 29'6" instead of the 32'. Much more used equipment would be available as would new wires, etc. I would suggest utilizing a diamond wire system similar to the Tigers/ F18s to be able to induce proper mast bend, the H18 system doesn't. My boat meets all the F18 requirements except for the curvature of the front crossbar. If more H18s made the conversion the class might consider a change in that one rule and allow the H18 a second life as a begining F18 race boat. Its just a thought!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

:D Thank you for your response ''ncmbm'' good knowledge is always needed when tackling one of these projects, i have seen some of your photo's
IMPRESSIVE i must say. To bring back the 18's would be a terrific idea , there a awesome boat and deserve to be back on the circuit in large number's. Lot's of other people also agree. if you ever get time could you send in some pics or by email of your boat set up. Close ups please'' CHEERS stay in touch...pepsi :D