Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weta Vs H18
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This Sunday I raced a WETA on Mission Bay in San Diego. The wind was angry my friends so angry I was a burp away from pitch poling my 18 single handed 13 - 17 mph gusts to 20. Well I had talked to this guy in the parking lot while he was rigging his brand new (October) WETA and I was taking a break, cause I had been out on the trap for a while. It was nice to see a new boat, the whole thing weighs 200lbs at 4.4m, it has lots and lots of carbon fiber. He raised the mast with one hand, the other hand he scratched his head. He had a schreercher which a symmetrical spinnaker. I think the schreecher would work great on an 18.

Any way once I intercepted him in the bay the tacking duel began. It was no contest even downwind. My GPS read 19 mph for a few seconds, cruised at 17 a lot. He was cruising at just a few mph slower, maybe 14. Im not sure why I posted this, it sound an awful lot like bragging, and it kinda is. Anyone on an 18 could have beat him. Its just the 18 forum has been to slow lately. I figure you guys just want something to read.

Post subject: Re: Weta Vs H18
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's not too surprising, especially upwind in a blow I can't see the Weta standing much of a chance. From what I've seen, the H18 has a lot more upwind sail area, plus a lot less hull drag due to sleeker hulls and more righting moment. The only advantage the Weta has is lighter weight.

I'm sure there's a bit of a learning curve for the guy on the Weta, so that may have contributed too. Off the wind and with a skilled skipper, I could see those things putting up a bit of a fight as long as the boat is kept flat. I would think any time they put the ama in the water though, it's going to slow the boat down significantly. Put a chute on the Hobie and I don't think they'd stand a chance in any conditions.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The WETA is an interesting looking boat. I looked at their website and the one for the US distributor in NC. It is a 14' boat and is billed as the fasted 14' sailboat available with a 18 MPH top confirmed speed.

I think the Hobie 18 is faster (I have not sailed one in a decade and that was before GPS - I am looking forward to getting the one I just bought out on the water soon and checking the speed with the GPS).

It does look much easier to rid and fun to sail. An especially attractive option for someone that singlehands their boats.

Thanks for posting, we need to get some more action on the H18 forum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Weta is quicker to rig. Depending on wind conditions, we seem to cross tacks in lower winds, even with a spin on the H18. We only get to hammer him when the wind picks up to fighting speed. Light wind we don't stand a chance. For that kind of price they are asking I would really expect it to fly, but it seems extremely stable, easy and safe which I think is the main aim/purpose of the design not outright speed. Nice solo boat, dunno how it would behave in sea abuse conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Our Hobie fleet sailed side by side with Wetas at the Multihull race in Richmond, CA last weekend. Weta looks like a very interesting boat, very manageable, both on land and on water, but is noticeably slower than Hobie 16, at any point of sail, and their race course was shorter. Only with their 3 sails up could they follow us.

I am attracted to it, as a boat to take out solo, when I have no crew for my H16, but for the price their are asking, you really expect a to get an exciting boat.
Only a test ride will tell...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

They market it heavily as a high speed machine... but it's not that quick. They had boasted to be similar to an F18 at the Nood's here last year... then 16s the second day of racing :)... not even close. If anyone is interested in something like this, they should be looking at the Adventure Island or Tandem Island. MUCH more versatile machines.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
If anyone is interested in something like this, they should be looking at the Adventure Island or Tandem Island. MUCH more versatile machines.

Really Matt ?
I see the adventure island as a kayak with a sail, which is great if you primary activity is kayaking.
I am personally looking at a fun solo boat, and therefore for my personal application, the Weta is competing with the hobie Wave.
However, for the price tag of the Weta, it better be a super high performance machine, which I agree with you, is apparently not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Admin

The Mirage Islands are most likely the number one selling small sailboats in the World these days... that says a LOT I think. The design in combination with the MirageDrive and the ability to sail, kayak pedal, paddle in most any condition makes the boat extremely versatile. They are really fun to sail and pretty quick too. Check the forum participation from owners. There is a complete separate section for Islands now. This excitement rivals the BIG days of Hobie 14 and then Hobie 16s. These guys are going nuts over them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJuuymSuBLA[/youtube]

This one is really cool... slow motion in some big seas.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et2xziFqSyg[/youtube]

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=70

Not to say there isn't room for an even higher performance version!

Features of an Island which stand out:

- MirageDrive (Certainly Number One and HUGE) Allows added performance, maneuverable, pedal out, pedal home in zero wind or current conditions. It is huge piece of mind and knowing when you go out... you can have fun regardless of the conditions.
- Roller furling Main
- Folding Amas/Akas
- Super easy to assemble
- Can be a kayak stand alone

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,

I'm ready to test the Tandem amas on the Adventure hull anytime
:wink: sport edition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are a couple of Wetas at our club great boat but I suspect you need to really know what you are doing to get 18mph out of it i go past them in the 17 and 18 like they are standing still but you can see they really do have tons of tuning possibilities

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:03 am 
Site Admin

There is a topic by augaug running over in the Islands forums about versatility... exactly what I was saying about the MirageDrive powered boats...

You can strip off the amas and sail down to the basic kayak config...

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=32191

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Matt,

No photo credit? I spent years toning those legs for this modelling opportunity!

I'm with Matt though. The Weta seems like an interesting boat, but the versatility of an Adventure Island, or a Tandem Island, just can't be beat. I'm sailing in high winds, and as you can see above, kayaking in no winds. It can do it all. The best thing is that if I feel like going out for an evening sail, I walk the boat down to the lake on the Hobie Cart, set it up in minutes, and sail away til the wind dies down. Then, if I completely run out of wind, I pedal in, and walk it back home.

I'm not the kind of guy who likes to look at my boat in the garage, I want to use it. If you're looking for a boat that you're going to use... a lot... an Adventure Island will kill the Weta with its versatility, and that means you'll be out on the water way more often.

Another thing, I can car top this boat on top of a Honda Civic with room for an identical boat beside it. Sail, pontoons and everything. No trailer? no problem!

Speed is fun, but so is actually sailing. The AI, might be slower, but I bet it's no less fun on the water, and you'll use it more because of it's versatility.

(ok... so.. just doing the math... Hobie owes me for my modelling legs, and my promotional post.... I'll put it on your tab Matt!) :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

My bad! I added the credit and a link that I had meant to have anyway!

I loved the photos so much I had spread a link to the topic all over our staff here to. Beautiful stuff!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

crobiecat wrote:
I see the adventure island as a kayak with a sail, which is great if you primary activity is kayaking.
I am personally looking at a fun solo boat.

I just posted a video that might help you see the Adventure Island in another light.

This boat is way more then a kayak with a sail, and it's certainly a fun solo boat.

Here's the link:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=32550

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know why I didn't see this before - no one can question my attitude and many, many positive comments about the AI and TI (I own both). They are the most all around capable and fun boats I own. But... I also own a Weta and the Weta will easily run off and leave either one of them in either light or heavy winds. It's not a contest if we're simply talking speed.

An H18 should be faster - it carries a lot more sail. But you're not going to find many, if any, 14 to 16 foot boats in this range than have the acceleration or the speed of the Weta. As most owners will tell you - the Weta is a "blast" to sail. The thing "cooks" and with all 3 sails you have the option to sail in winds of from 5 to 30+ MPH, 1 or 2 up. It cuts the water like a hot knife through butter. Smooth.

I shot this, somewhat tongue in cheek, but the company liked it enough to put it on their website. Winds were moderate - maybe in the 15MPH range. We had 2 people on the boat, about 420 pounds total. And we weren't close to being at top speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utLdiBaao3k

It's a fantastic boat and everything the company says it is. I think comparisons to the AI/TI aren't fair to either boat, because they are such different animals.