Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, after cleaning or replacing nearly everything on the boat I took it out for a sail in light to moderate wind (6 to 11 kts).

Before launching, everything was adjusted to spec - shrouds (new), diamond wires (new), tramp (new), rudders (new). dolphin striker - inspected. The mast rake was set to previous rake.

About an hour into the sail, there was a loud pop and a crack. I found myself well out to sea with a sagging mast and a cracked forward cross bar. It appears that somehow the bar below the mast step came out of the fitting on the dolphin striker.

The striker was in place. It was tight. Uponi inspection on shore, it appears the striker is in normal condition. Except the rod that supports the mast step is not in the sleeve on the striker.

How did this happen? Was this caused by incorrect geometry on the new rigging?

Any thoughts.

Anyone have a front crossbar for sale?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing I can imagine that might have happened is that when you fitted the

dolphin striker (Stainless Post under the mast)

into the reciever ( small aluminum piece that fits around the long stainless rod that goes from End Cap to End Cap of the cross bar)

it (the post)didn't seat properly into the reciever.

Then while under sail it ( the reciever)spun out from under the stainless post

and then the long rod was no longer supporting the downforce exerted by the mast and the power of the wind.

I have a couple of front cross bars, but shipping from Colorado to Florida for an oversized item like that would be bloody expensive. Start networking with the Hobie Dealers in Florida. Watch Craigslist. Go to WWW.HC18.org and start a discussion or place a wanted ad. There are over 165 hobie 18 owners on that site, someone will have what you need at a reasonable price and hopefully not too far from you. There are a plethora of old 18's down there with soft hulls and missing pieces, you should be able to come up with a front cross bar for not a whole lotta money. Give Brad @ Sunjammers, or Aris @ Mariner Sails a E-Mail or a Call. I KNOW Aris should have some H-18 Cross Bars, and I rather suspect that if Brad doesn't have one, he knows someone who does.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I didn't even disassemble the dolphin striker from the crossbar - simply inspected it and tested for tightness before reinstalling the crossbar. It was well-seated when I launched.

Would flex in the hulls be a possible cause? I had the boat completely disassembled. And while I was careful to get everything tight when putting everything back together...who knows. The tramp was very tight (tighter than I have evere had it, thanks to the techniques on the forum). The hulls are a little soft..would that do it?

I just don't want to have it happen again (far from shore in the shark infested waters of lower Tampa Bay and the ship channel!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you sure the striker bolts were snugged up? One thought would be that if the striker rod was corroded to the crossbar end caps, but someone loosened the nuts and never re-tightened them, the striker would appear tight, but when a heavy load was put on it, it might pop free.

How tight was the rig? Were you sailing upwind/downwind how much breeze?

I've never heard of this happening. Are you sure the striker post popping off the striker rod was the cause of the failure?

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We were sailing close hauled in about 11 kt wind - moving along pretty well - in relatively calm sea condition (1 ft. waves)

The shrouds were new. However, they were set in the last hole and were in no way forced to get the pins in (new, tight cables). The forestay - the same. While snug, it was in no way forced. The mast had only a slight rake.

The diamond wires were adjusted so that I could barely touch them to the mast one foot from the attach point.

The bolts on the striker cable/bar were in seemingly good condition - no visible corrosion and tightended (went out an looked again).

I thought the casting at the base of the mast might have cracked, but it appears to be intact.

The underside of the cross bar is cracked open. The upper side held long enought for me to limp the six miles back to dock under modified sail.

I was thinking I had the rigging too tight, but in reviewing all of the adjustments they all seem well within the norms of the hobie assemblyl manual.

Maybe I just need to chalk this up to the fact that I am sailing a 30 year old boat with all original equipment and after sailing in the Pacific and Gulf by a number of novice sailors (me included) the aluminum has finally had enough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Manatee,

I would work out a price w/ Stephen for one of his ..... know why????

You already said it yourself ...." I have to attribute it to a 30yr old boat that was sailed in the Pacific and Gulf" ..... SALT WATER!!!!!!

Stephen's most likely are from "Fresh Water" boats!!!! I know I would pay the extra frieght for a "fresh water" front crossbar vs a "salt water" front crossbar.

Just make sure you have the "Upgraded" Mast Base

Just something to consider ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Harry Murphey wrote:
Just make sure you have the "Upgraded" Mast Base

Just something to consider ....

Just to be clear... that should be "Mast Step Assembly". That is the post and casting that attaches to the crossbar. A "Mast Base" is part of the mast and has not changed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MUST5429 wrote:
or Aris @ Mariner Sails a E-Mail or a Call. I KNOW Aris should have some H-18 Cross Bars.
Stephen

I think we've got a couple of decent front x-bars, but that shipping cost rears it's ugly head again. Plus, I much prefer selling used parts face-to-face.... That way a customer knows what he's getting before he plunks down cash.

Brian