Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to replace my original H18 tramp. Has anyone purchased the after market tramp available on eBay? The ad states it is made of 7.6 oz polypropylene mesh & sewn with heavy gage bonded UV resistant thread. The selling price is $269.00.

I'm not sure if mesh would be better than the Hobie version or not? Can anyone provide any thoughts?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have purchased and used both factory Hobie and two of the popular aftermarket versions (from different manufacturers) within the past couple years, including the one you mention...each has their pro's & cons...but the factory Hobie is the best value, per pound. By quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Aftermarket one is a little cheaper but I usually get 5 seasons out of a Hobie tramp , 1 maybe 2 out of the aftermarket. That bieng said the Hobie Heat Welded reinforced seams last alot longer and make a nicer purchase.
Support your local Hobie dealer and Hobie and buy the right gear for your boat. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

T-Bone

I would absolutely recommend the Hobie Mesh tramp over the vinyl tramp. That having been said, please consider the following that I cut and pasted from a previous posting on another thread

Needing a Hobie tramp to race in regatta's is the one of the last reasons you would want to spend the extra money on a Hobie OE (original Equipment) Tramp.

The real reasons you would REALLY want to spend the money on the Hobie OE Tramp is the QUALITY.

Hobie tramps have welded seams, not stiched. They last a long long long time. They use a higher quality grommet that spreads the load to the material much better, and the material itself is a much higher quality.

Non Hobie tramps last 1/2 to 1/3 as long as the real deal.

Look at like buying tires, The lower priced tire might cost $25 and last 10,000 miles while the higher priced tire might cost $50 and last 40,000 miles. Therefore over the life of the two differently priced tires, the lower priced tire will actually cost you twice as much because you will have to buy 4 sets over the 40,000 mile life of the higher priced tire.

Now, if you justify buying the aftermarket tramp because you don't race, and you aren't going to own the boat that long, in my opinion, you are still making an error in judgment. Because when you go to sell the boat, the buyer may intend to race, and he will discount the price he is willing to pay for the boat because it has a tramp that is not class legal.

When it comes to buying wear items like a trampoline for your boat, always remember this truism:
"The bitternes of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Stephen