Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wish this site was a little busier. Haven't had a chance to get mine out yet. Need to take up ice boating i guess as my "Slow time" is usually jan-feb. I trailer so, it is kind of an ordeal to go. Not so much the setup/ teardown time, but the idiots at the launch ramp. Even as trivial as some questions, comments, or stories may seem, I really enjoy reading about our 18's and the experiances. I started out on my 10ft snark, then Dad's H14, then H16, so I can relate to those also. (10 year old kid soloing an 16!)
Probably won't be this year but next, (I know, I know), planning a trip from Milwaukee to Sturgeon Bay. About 135 miles. 2 days. Camp overnite someplace. Then, have my buddy bring up my trailer and drive home. one BIG Port Broad Reach. Anyone do trip like this? Biggest concern is; What should i buy for a handheld radio? I know I want one that floats with decent battery time, but evone says "Theirs is the best".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got this one, pretty happy with it. I see that they now have GPS built into their high end models.
https://www.cobra.com/products/mrhh350flt

I'm curious where you will camp along the way. I've wanted to sail up Door County, but don't know about shoreline camping. I recently camp/cruised (in a Sunfish!) for 4 days in the Apostle Islands. And I've been planning an Isle Royale camp/cruise with the Hobie.
(Edit) I looked at a map of your route, Point Beach State Forest just north of Two Rivers might be somewhere you can camp. I don't think they have shoreline camping but you might be able to beach and walk in.

I got a Garmin Inreach Mini for satellite communications and emergency beacon in case of an emergency on Lake Superior.

Are you taking flares/personal strobes on your voyage?

(2nd edit) Matt, who has a youtube channel "Adventures in Reach" camp cruises his Sunfish and makes videos. I went with him through the Apostle Islands, and he sailed around Isle Royale (my inspiration!)! He's got some great advice in his videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/adventuresinreach

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for your input! I haven't really picked a campsite yet. I have to study the wind tendencies more along the route. I was kinda hoping that with good wind all the way, and an early start, a broad reach being a fast point of sail, posssibly do it in one LONG day. I do have some cross-country sailing experiance from years ago on "Lake of the Woods". LOWISA was the event. A week long round trip from Kenora down into Minnesota and back to Kenora. That was on an E scow with a support boat tho. But, some REALLY wild sailing conditions. 90 miles in one day was pretty much enough.
That sat reciever is a bit pricy but the safety it provides I'm sure is worth it. The handheld you suggest is doable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can rent the satellite communicator, and regular personal locator beacons (PLB). I rented an Inreach Explorer+ and 2 PLBs for myself and crew for our Isle Royale trip. Unfortunately we had to scrub the trip at the last minute. But I played with the Explorer+ and liked it. The Inreach Mini suited my purposes better though, for a lot less money.
I have an "as desired" plan for it, so I can activate it for a month at a time for big water sailing, and deactivated when I'm not going to be on the Great Lakes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently bought a Standard Horizons VHF Radio, (hand held), waterproof, floats, and has a strobe that flashes when immersed in water.
It also has a bunch of useful features, like built-in GPS, waypoint storage, FM radio, and access to US/CAN weather radio.
Amazingly good product, don't have the model # here at work, I think an 855 or something.

Cost was around US$225.

The only caution about any such device is that the range is limited when you are only 24" above the water......

Keep safe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Lunn wrote:
The only caution about any such device is that the range is limited when you are only 24" above the water......

That's true. I wonder how hard it would be to put a mast mounted antenna up, and if the radio has enough power to drive it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Model is HX 890.

Running wires up a beach catamaran mast will likely be an 'interesting' challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Antenna height on your cat is only part of the equation. How high is the antenna you are transmitting to?
http://www.calculatoredge.com/electronics/lineofsight.htm

The plus of a PLB is the other antenna is in orbit - so it will see you and know your position.

One issue about running an antenna up the mast - what if you are upside down?

Probably the best would be to have a PLB and a radio.

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waiex191 wrote:
One issue about running an antenna up the mast - what if you are upside down?

Good point!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like your sense of adventure: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ou#p276902